TISBA Forum

We welcome you to the TISBA forum.Feel free to use it. To promote a event anywhere. To promote your band. Talk about a good cause. ANYTHING ! You do not have to use your name or email address here. But do be respectfull to others.

TISBA Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Remember When’ salutes Eddie and Jane Smith

Remember When’ salutes Eddie and Jane Smith

By Carl Fitzgerald / Special to The Star

Meridian, Mississippi
One of the most prominent names in Mississippi broadcasting is Eddie Smith, retired CEO and manager of radio station WMOX-AM 1010. Smith was hired as advertising sales manager of WMOX in 1961 by then station manager, Monroe Looney, who told Smith: "I just believe that you can outsell any of the sales people that I've got and I'd like for you to give it a shot."

Well, the young Smith, who had been on the sales staff at WCBI in Columbus, for five years prior to his coming to Meridian, was very determined by the challenge so he accepted Looney's offer (paying him a little more than the usual $90 salary per week) and it wasn't long before Eddie "took on" the new, Broadmoor Shopping Center with two scheduled live remote broadcasts from the center, involving all the various merchants and retail businesses, as well as the center's association and even to manager Looney's surprise, Eddie Smith's first contract order from Broadmoor was $3,800. I am sure that the reserved, quiet Monroe Looney must have yelled: "Way to go Eddie!"

Eddie Smith had already met, courted, and fell in love (at first sight) and married his wife, Jane, and they had their first son, "Little Ed" in 1962, the year after the two moved to Meridian. The Smiths have been Meridianites for nearly 47 years and have been associated with the pioneer radio station for the same period. Eddie's voice together with a number of co-hosts over the years, has been a radio favorite via "The Morning Show" on AM 1010 ... WMOX! How can we forget the legendary radio program, "Time Out For Jane." Her Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-11 a.m., show featured Jane as hostess and guests from various walks of life, where Jane usually promoted great causes like The Cancer Society, March of Dimes, church functions, whatever. It was a well listened to show that many of us kinda' grew up with. Remember her hosting the "Letters to Santa," each year. And, her terrific reporting on the "Election Returns" by remote from the courthouse. Yes, that was the "sweet lady of radio" Jane Smith. We miss you, Jane!

Chapter No. 202 of "Remember When" will salute Eddie and Jane on "The Eddie and Jane Smith Story" with producer, host, Carl Fitzgerald, according to WMOX manager, Bill Smith. Bill says, "Carl has known my parents and worked along side them over the years during the last 47 years, and he knows them pretty well." He added, "With our long time friend and music man, Noel Adcock, back with us today, this is going to be a great show." Thelma Fitzgerald is assistant producer and usually makes appearances on the show. Carl Fitzgerald said in WMOX radio history, some listeners will learn today that the WMOX original ownership was The Birney Imes chain of seven stations out of Columbus as of sign on date, March 8, 1946. WMOX was sold to The Meridian Star in mid 1960's and the studios moved back downtown to 2001 10th Street in 1966 and made its home there for almost 25 years when Q-101 radio ownership purchased the station from The Star in 1990 and moved it out to their home based stations on Highway 39 North. Eddie Smith was hired as manager of WMOX by Meridian Star's General Manager, D.P. Self Sr. and he served in that capacity for those 24 plus years, staying on as manager for the new owner, until he (Eddie Smith) finally became 1/3 owner with two other associates, then he bought them out in the early 1990's and "Brought Our Station (WMOX) Back Home Out In the Cow Pasture on Old Highway 80 East."

Fitzgerald said listeners may call in about the program from noon-3 p.m., while it's on the air but please be patient so your call can be handled properly. The phone numbers are (601) 693-1891 or (601) 693-1010. "Remember When" is a copyrighted feature of Carl Fitzgerald, who is currently authoring a book entitled, "I Remember When-Meridian." Carl, said, "We hope to have the book finished by April this year so stay tuned to WMOX for updates on "Remember When" programs and "The Morning Show," with Bill Smith and "Dumpster Dog."