General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2009 MY REVIEW Part 1

I usually post my annual review on another website MB but it tends to meet with with a response that is at best, indifference, or at the worst, sneers of something on the lines of "You clearly hate Eurovsion", which as you all know just ain't so. So I've done this in helpful chunks even though my posts normally get a zero response. Perhaps I may find this time it's different. Here goes...

ALBANIA - I had no idea that it was Albanian law that all songs entered by them into Eurovision must have NO TUNE whatsoever. This explains why I have loathed every single Albanian entry to date - this being no exception. When I heard this, I got that dull pain at the back of the head that I believe to be the result of brain cells crawling away to die of boredom. Keep trying.

ANDORRA - You know I really like this and that’s such a bad sign. The few Andorran entries I’ve actually liked have completely tanked at Eurovision and I fear that despite its bouncy, lively chorus this will go the same way. Shame.

ARMENIA - Holy Mother of God, this is awful! This should come with a Parental Guidance sticker, “Cover your ears now! Could cause brain damage!” Infuriatingly it will make the Final because of the Armenian diaspora and it so doesn’t deserve to get there.

AZERBAIJAN - After a truly atrocious start, Azerbaijan have picked up incredibly. This isn’t bad at all. A contemporary, catchy pop song that wouldn’t be out of place in most European charts. Well done.

BELARUS - About as not-good as a song can get. You’ve heard it all before and you definitely won’t want to hear it again.

BELGIUM - I felt sure I was going to hate this song, so I feel positively chastened that I found that I enjoyed it hugely. If you are going to have something with an element of ‘fun’ about it, then make it like this. It gave me a lorra, lorra laughs.

Re: 2009 MY REVIEW Part 1

Well I shall reply even if noone else will. Albania, Azerbaijan and Belarus leave me cold whereas Andorra's ditty has it's own winsome charm. Don't think it'll fight its way out of the semi which is a shame. The effort from Armenia is jolly enough and although I haven't tried doing the dance myself I am sure someone reading this will have done. The dark horse in this stable is definitely Belgium. Could surprise many!