General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your Country Needs You - What did you think?

Just in case you need confirmation, these are the six acts shortlisted to represent the UK in 2009.

Charlotte, Damien, Emperors of Soul, Jade, Mark The Twins

I thought Damien was good - isn't he the one who is also a semi-pro footballer? That must be a schedule-and-a-half to juggle.

At this stage, anyone but The Twins. They wouldn't be able to make it through the song without crying or being incredibly schmaltzy.

I was actually rather gladdened by the effort being made.

Re: Your Country Needs You - What did you think?

It doesn't matter what *you* think. The only valid opinion is that of a particular gentleman from Ireland.

I've just realised my Freudian typo of Mark The Twins.

I must hasten to point out they are not a pair of identical sheep ready for shearing.

Oh dear. And it all looked so hopeful. What on earth prompted ALW to get rid of the outstandingly good singers like Victor, Katie & Rita & settle for the dross that remained.
The Twins – Embarrassing to put it mildly.
Damien – Can’t hit high notes.
Charlotte – Can’t hit any notes. She couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.
Mark – Nice looking but very limited in range.
Emperors of Soul – We all know why they are there & it’s not through talent.
Jade – Where did she emerge from? Seemed unimpressive but too little evidence to give a real view.
Watch the Great British public choose the one with the biggest sob story and least talent.
ALW’s song had better be stormer or we’re looking at bottom 3 again.

It's not that bleak, Mnsr Flechette! They were all singing without mics, for a start.

Jade definitely has potential - and Lord Andy will be writing with the strengths of the winner in mind, anyway. He has been in this business for a long time, as has the bloke from the record label, so they must what they're doing.

To be honest, I doubt Dima Bilan would have filled that room with harmony, either.

I was a little bit impressed with SOME of the effort put in to Saturday's show - but rather than ALW concentrating on the UK's recent flops, why did he not look at the UK's recent success with Jessica Garlick in 2002. I've long thought that a female with a ballad (RIP Cyndi ...) is the way to go for the UK, andone thing that ALW can do is write a ballad.

He's well know across the nations for his musical theatre writing, so why not embrace that and choose a performer like Victor or Katie who could have done some justice to that genre?

Please dear public, do not choose either the Twins or Charlotte, I just don't believe that either of them could fill the enormous Olympski Stadium with their teeny tiny little voices.

Anyway - time will tell .. and anything taking the contest more seriously is a step in the right direction imho....(I will ignore the "Miss Moneypenny" crap bits of the show)

I just want the Twin and Charlotte out as soon as possible. I can cope with anyone else singing for the UK. Although if the Emperors win, we'll have to rope in in Holland/Dozier/Holland, never mind Diane Warren.

I'm rather worried that ALW wants The Twins to go to Moscow. Oo-er.

And I think it may well happen...*shudder*

Apparently the vid of their performance on YouTube has double the hits of any other act :(

I just get this horrible feeling ....