General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UK 2009 Part 2

So old Webby is going to write the UK effort for 2009 after all. Well it will certainly raise the profile of the ESC in the UK viewers’ eyes but why am I not filled with unalloyed pleasure? The sinking feeling that we will inevitably get a host of unknown wannabes of questionable talent desperately hoping for X-Factor style success, looms large. We cannot forget the farce of the French national contest of 2006 which followed a similar pattern. They ended up with a singer who was totally unsuited to the song that was written for her to sing at the ESC that year. A hastily written alternative was found and given to a rank amateur who was too terrified on the night to even give a half-decent airing. I hate feeling negative about this, but is there any hope of even a top 10 result? I doubt it.

Re: UK 2009 Part 2

I am sorry to say I think so too. Tis may have been good news 15 years ago, but alas and alack, not any more. If the Beeb wants a ratings winner go down the Melodifestivalen path. This just smacks of more of the same to me. Doubt it will be London / Cardiff / Manchester 2010.