General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
From the Beeb: The UK's shortlisted acts for Eurovision

The line-up this year features:

Soloists

Chart-topping songstress Michelle Gayle who goes head to head with the X Factor's Andy Abraham, both hoping they have got what it takes to fly solo in this year's contest.

Girl groups

Lively pop duo LoveShy compete with soulful motown sensations The Revelations whilst aiming to strike a chord with the voting public.

Joseph v Maria

Rob McVeigh and Simona Armstrong won the hearts of the British public as Joseph and Maria hopefuls, but which one will hit the right notes and get the votes this time around?

This year the judging panel – which will be headed up by Terry – will have an even more important role.

After each performance the panel of three judges will decide which act from each category will go through to the next round to compete for the public vote. If the other two judges can't agree on which act should go through, Terry – with his expert knowledge on Eurovision – will have the deciding vote.

The judges will also pick a wildcard to go through and all four acts will return for the second show. The two acts with the lowest public vote will immediately leave the competition and the remaining two will sing again for their chance to go to Belgrade for the 53rd annual sing-off.

Eurovision – Your Decision will also feature a performance from Katrina formerly of Katrina And The Waves with a new remix of her 1997 Eurovision winning hit Love Shine A Light.

Terry Wogan said: "A turkey is one of the contenders for this year's Irish entry; for the past few years, we've been picking a turkey for the UK. Let's hope that the British public will make the right decision this year, and give the UK's entry a fighting chance against the Eastern Bloc, in Belgrade in May."

Claudia Winkleman said: "I'm very excited to be taking part this year. Standing next to Terry in a floor length sequin lime green outfit will top the evening for me. Plus if we can choose a great act and then win in Belgrade then even better."

Re: From the Beeb: The UK's shortlisted acts for Eurovision

Ho-hum. It’s comforting to know that mediocrity is alive and well and living in the BBC. I have at least heard of a couple of the acts which ought to give me a smidgin of hope, but can't remember anything by them which is not a good sign. Yes, I know we haven't heard the songs yet, but why does my heart not go Boom, Boom, Boom?

To be honest, I couldn't give a Maltese balladeer's bingo wing who is singing the song, as long as it's a good song, sung well.

Mr Gorgeous (the snippet you can hear on MySpace) isn't all that bad, dpesite what the doom-mongers on other Eurovision-related message boards would have you believe.

Now I've heard all 6 UK entries, I am at least happy that there is no intentionally embarrassing effort this year. That said, nothing really stands out as the saviour for the UK - i.e. a song that'll get us out of the bottom 5.

Michelle Gayle v Andy Abraham. Frankly little to choose here - both funky uptempo rnb songs that don't traditionally go down well at Eurovision. If either is chosen, it will sink without trace at the ESC.

LoveShy v Revelations. Basically 'Sugababes wananbees' against 70 retro Paper Dolls/Pearls type of fluff. If either is chosen, it will sink without trace at the ESC.

Rob McVeigh v Simona Armstrong, Rob's is by far the better song tho' it needs a lot more oomph in the chorus. And can he cut it live? He strains on the high notes even in the studio version. Simona's song is just average forgettable pop nothingness. If either is chosen, it will sink without trace at the ESC.

So let's see who can sing really well on EYD & watch the Great British public choose the worst effort.

If it's either of the girl bands, I'll be pleased.

Misteh Gerjus (Hull pronunciation) was the one which set my foot a-tapping. Well, my outburst was more along the line of "ooh...slappers!" Miss Gayle's ditty doesn't sound too bad, either. Apart from that I'll wait til the whisky kicks in and it all begins to make my mind up. Make my decision. Oh I do wish they'd stick to one name...

...or which will be our song for Yurrup...as in "squrrls"...

We're not allowed to play the squrrrls nonsense any more. I've banned it. If only I had a recording of "When's Greece coming on *whiiiiiiine*" to play when we don't get the interviews we demand. I may just say it anyway...

Pleased that Andy was selected. Not the most commercial but certainly very classy and well performed.

At least we were saved from that ludicrous Gayle nonsense. Toytown kids TV prog stuff.

The best thing about seeing Andy Abraham winning was seeing the annoying smirk being wiped off the smug face of John Barrowman. He must not be allowed near the UK Eurovison final ever again.

After the live performances, I wanted either him, or the Revelations.

Auntie has to stop putting people on the show who have absolutely no clue over what will work or not at Eurovision holding so much sway over the voters.