General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gemany 1996

Just listened to "Blauer Planet" for the 1st time on YouTube. How did this not qualify from the semis in 1996 when trash like Spain did? This was a really good song for its time and would have done quite well if given the chance.

Eurosong juries.....BAH!

Re: Gemany 1996

Hello Dan! When I've recovered from the shock of someone posting something here I'll think of a reply to your message

I know, I was thinking of closing this bit down as I have to pay to keep it going and it's been No Man's Land for months!

Blaue Planet did win a competition at an OGAE Convention a while back for songs that never made it to the final (pre semis).

I think it had too many English lyrics for the rulebook to allow, so it was sort-of slipped out of contention at the pre-judging round, or so I'm led to believe.

Yeah I know - Blauer Planet was a jolly enough ditty which should have got through. Much better than the effort he sang the following year in the German final about his little pocket torch. "Is that a little pocket torch? - no, I'm just pleased to see you...

Even better songs than Germany's didn't make it in 1996. I really loved Monica Anghels' wonderfully OTT number for Romania which came last in the semi that year. Also liked the unusually laid back jazzy Russian effort from Andrij Kosinski that sank without trace. And when you think of the awful songs that did qualify like Austria and Spain and above all the hideous screeching of that banshee Eimar Quinn. Blech!