Frank Kimmel Street Stock Nationals

OFFICIAL FORUM OF FRANK KIMMEL STREET STOCK NATIONALS

Frank Kimmel Street Stock Nationals
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Motor Problems

We pulled our motor apart in the shop last night and found 3 exhaust valves stuck on the drivers side head. The car picked up a miss after our spin toward the end of the race at Kentucky so we parked it. We are suspecting that the stock manifolds are retaining too much heat in the motor. We have never had a problem with valves sticking on us before but we have never run a race on a big track like that where you are flat-foot for long periods of time. I was just wondering if anyone else was having these issues and if anyone has any suggestions that might help us come up with a solution to our problem. We are allowed to run headers at our weekly track.

Also, wanted to thank Frank and his crew for the opportunities they have given us to race at some cool tracks and for running a good show. Thank you also for your avalability to answer questions and help when needed. We know you are very busy.

Car # 33/133

Re: Motor Problems

I would suspect that you were just a little too lean.. Valves get hot and swell..
Yes the manifolds to hold heat in, but that alone shouldn't have caused the problem. You do not want to restrict oil to the top end either,, let it flow... Must run bronze guides and Teflon seals... On a short track you are cooling the engine with the accelerator pump each time you get on the throttle, where at KY your on the wood.
Let me know if you need any help..
Thanks
Roger Williams #32
Williams Precision Engines
765-525-4825
www.wpespeedshop.com

Car # 32

Thanks Roger. We thought we were running rich enough but like I said, we don't have any experience with those kinds of tracks. I will pass on the info and next time we'll be ready.

Car # 33/133

your problem is easily fixed but might not be what either of you are thinking give me a call at the shop 1 812 683 4427 and by the way you dont have to cheat to win just work hard and smart.

what as a good number jett o use we had 74 and still blew up thanks..

Car # 7

I was running a 82 jet in a 351, and the pipes were still pretty white.

Car # 071

Is this the Darby Fleenor that was a chaplain with the NFRM? You and I were there at the beginning of the the weekly Racing ministry start up. I am Pastor Ron Lasley I raced Saturday started 78th and finished 7th. If it is I wish I had seen you at the track.
The faster pastor

Car # 115

Ron!!! Dude...it's been forever bro. Yeah it's me. I didn't actually get to make the Kentucky race. I did get to make the Bristol one though. We had a blast! Matt was supposed to find you while he was up there and give you my email address but it didn't work out for him to come and find you. We have had a competitive car (we feel top 20) but we just haven't gotten the finishes to show it. This kind of street stock racing is all new to us so we are learning.

I'm not doing raceway ministry anymore. I have been doing chassis set-up for the Smith's for 5 seasons. I have started a house church in my home for students. It is called Dogwood Bible Fellowship. We meet on Wednesday evenings. Not doing the full-time church staff thing anymore. It just wasn't working for me so I went and got a real job...lol

How in the world have you been? What is going on with you these days? Good to see you are still racing. Last I heard you were racing a truck. Congrads on the top 10 at Kentucky. There are some really fast cars out there.

Drop me a line: darbyfleenor@yahoo.com also; take a look at the web-site: www.smithracing33.com

It would be awesome to see you again! I am hearing rumors of another race being added to the schedule. If that works out maybe we can both make it. We probably are going to skip Rockingham because of the date...too cold to race or even work on the car in our garage.

Car # 33/133

If you didn't get the clutch in and turned the motor backward it might ran the guides dry(oilpump won't pump backward). Check see if valve may have hit the pistons when it turned backward. Just a thought.
Good luck.

Car # 4 late model

Thanks bro, yeah it did hit the pistons a bit. Doesn't appear to be really hurt though. Our engine builder is on it. I hope he can get us fixed so we can run our local track this weekend.

Car # 33/133