Return to Website

Welcome to our forum. Tell us what is really on your mind today.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what now?

what with sport planet not carrying cc anymore, now must be a paying member to download courses and libs from cc.
is there an alternative to downloading weekly course?
not been able to play much during the week, been very busy at work (long hours) then a 1 1/2 hour drive home. popped in a few times over the weekend, no one on.

Dave

Re: what now?

Guess we'll wait to see what the club does about d/ling courses.

There are ways to share courses..such as drop zone and its free.. I have many courses on cd as well as many of our other members. In my opinion 15 bucks for 6 months is a fair price CC is asking.. yet I havent decided what I plan on doing yet. If you read the post from RS Baker one of the top designers he makes a valid point of trying to keep the server going, although its not necessary to play as KALI supports it as well.. but then again your paying 20 bucks but for a lifetime membership.. lots of avenues to go..lots to discuss..I am not able to put courses on my site (a: because Im not sure how to.. and B: due to my limited space, but Im sure that ED (DASH) can help us in this field..

c

your right, i wasnt aware about your vacation. hope you had a nice one.
Kali, wow!, that brings back memories, forgot all about that. when about 5 or 6 years ago, you were such a sweetheart (and still are) and paid my membership. remember that c? now if i can find the codes, got them on floppy somewhere around here.
what is drop zone?

Dave

I'm not sure what i'll do, however there are a lot of courses on the new CC site that are real courses and are a free d/l. I will probably stick with thoses for a while. comments????

All you FGLers just send me your e-mail along with no $$$ and your golfing name

Anyone that needs a course or a library, just let me know. I have the full collection on cd, and will put it on my server for your download. Also I am working on uploading all the course that I have designed, as well as those by all the player designers of our club if they have no objections.

The cost of buying courses is disturbing, but the cost of lossing the friends we have all made is priceless. Anyway I can help, just ask.

Dash

Toots - My email is StevenJMassey@adelphia.net

I agree with Jack regarding real courses. Its not that I can't afford the membership to CC but its the principal behind the thing. This started as a free gaming site and I believe it should remain so. You would think the designers would want as many to play their courses as possible, instead of limiting it to those willing to pay a price to do so. After all, the course is their product. But that's neither here nor there.

I would really like to see us play more courses designed by members. As I said before, I loved Dash's and Toot's courses, and I would bet we could come up with some good ones if we all tried.

Thats my two cents...

Steve

I agree with Steve as far as how this game original started with free online play and the designing of courses. there are so many great courses that are out there and we could play this game forever and probably not cover all the courses made or to be made in the future. Im perfectly fine with playing "Real" and stock courses and If my courses designer worked I might have made a few here and there but they would have been nasty so I left that for the real talented people like Ed and Toots and Indy and Robert. After all it dont matter the course its the great companionships we make playing good or bad real or custom..

C

Re: what now? something to think about

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have high speed internet for free?
Well it's not going to happen no matter how much we complain.The people at CC Club have kept ths game alive for all this time at no expence to us unless we wanted to buy a course CD or donations.
We are not paying for the courses!
The servers and the bandwidth needed to share them has to be paid for some how and it really is to bad that our first thought is that it's unfair.
I am an active designer so I didn't have to pay for a password to download, but my first thought was Oh Crap.
I have alot of courses on CD and will share them anyway I can (as soon as I find the CD they are on)
There are many file sharing servers that are free to use but they are slow ( 4 to 5 min to upload and twice that to download )
like http://www.megaupload.com where you can leave a file on the server for up to 30 days.
I'm hoping to set up a FTP server soon to share all my courses but it may take me some time to get it ready so hang in there and have some fun my friends!

My hub has several games that were once supported online but aren't any longer.
Tiger Woods basically requires the purchase of a new game every year; as I understand it they don't support the older versions after the 2d year (hearsay, I don't play the game.)
I think most of the other sports games like John Madden Football, Triple Play Baseball, NBA, etc. are also only supported for the first year since they get updated annually.

My point is, PGA2K is a 5 or 6 year old game, that without the time and effort given by Linda, Fab, and the others at CC, would probably have died (at least online) a couple of years ago, like PGA99.
If you count the number of active members (posters, designers, contributors) and the number of people who download the custom courses, I'm sure you'd find a very small ratio of supporters to users.

Linda, et al, have given very generously of their time and resources for several years, and I think what they're asking in return is really quite small. Sure free courses/free site are great, but as Toots said, free cable would be great also, but it's not going to happen. Instead of complaining about what was going on 5 years ago, we should do all we can to support their effort, because without CC, 2K is going to die.

Not to bust anyones chops but the designers get it free and they tell us its a good deal for us to spend our money??? I mean, if you really believe what you say, then tell Linda you will pay for broadband. Hey you aren't selling your courses but the right for all to dl for free. If you think your courses are worth dl,ing, why not pay it yourself? Or is it just easier to tell rest of us to pay? Don't tell me I am unappreciative if I seek an alternative...

Steve

I second that Pard. Ya old grump.

Yes the designers do get it free, but that was Linda's decision. As for us, we feel grateful for what they've done and have purchased an account. I can't imagine the cost in time and effort, not to mention actually paying for the server, that these people have put into CC and keeping 2K online all these years.

Re: what now? Pay the Tax Man!

I'm not saying anyone should have to buy courses.
Maybe Designers should get paid for there work from the download fees.
The I.R.S should get a cut of what CC Club is making on this for sure.
We should all ask for the P&L statement. I for one would like to see how much it cost to run the servers and how much they get from membership fees.If they turn a profit will the next 6 months be cheaper?
I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone but guess what finger I'd use. lol