Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Forum: Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
WARWICK THE SHOEMAKER

I'm searching for family history for my 82 year old father relating to the WARWICK family. All born in Thorpe throughout the entire 19th century. The Warwick's were the shoemakers in the village I believe - does anyone have any information relating to them please?

Also, I've been given a burial database of 21 WARWICKs relating to Grindon St. James - I found none of them (today) in Thorpe's graveyard. Does this mean that they're likely to be buried under the Grindon St. Thomas A Becket undergrowth I wonder?

If anyone could help that would be wonderful. Gill

Email  
Re: WARWICK THE SHOEMAKER

Hi Gill

I've checked the copies of old trade directories held by the TTHG and can report the following listings for Warwicks in Thorpe Thewles. Just because they are not listed in a directory is by no means proof/evidence that they weren't in the village at the time of the directories publishing.

Wellan’s Directory of Co. Durham 1856 – Thomas & William Warwick – both listed as shoemakers in Thorp(e) Thewles.

GPO Directory of Co. Durham 1858 – Thomas & William Warwick – both listed as shoemakers in Thorp(e) Thewles.

Wellan’s Directory of Co. Durham 1865 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1873 – Thomas Warwick – listed as shoemakers in Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1879 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

Porter’s Directory of Stockton & Middlesbrough 1881 - No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

Wellan’s Directory of Co. Durham 1894 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1897 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1906 – Thomas Warwick – listed as proprietor (?) of the Vane Arms Public House at Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1914 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles. John Masterman listed at the Vane Arms Public House at Thorpe Thewles.

Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham 1921, 1925, 1929, 1934 & 1938 – No Warwicks listed in Grindon or Thorpe Thewles.

It looks as if Thomas Warwick may have taken over the Vane Arms after the death of the previous owner, Hannah Crone.

We were aware that the village had a family of shoemakers but do not know much about them. So anything you may find out further about your families memories or connections to the area would be of great interest to us also.

As yet I have not checked the census returns for Warwicks in Grindon Parish. Now that our group has ready access to a transcribed and searchable set of these for the period 1841-1911 (thanks to Paul Dunnill) it should be easy to do this search for you.

All the best

Mark Smith

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Tools