Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
FAMILY HISTORY IN THORPE THEWLES

My Great Grandfather, William Mowbray, farmed at Thorpe Thewles alongside his Uncle Thomas Mowbray in the years somewhere between 1820 - 1890. I am not sure which was the farm but I believe it stood on the Wynyard Road near one of the Viaduct Arches. Thomas is buried in Thorpe's graveyard but William went on to farm at Home House Farm, Dunsdale

I would be very grateful if anyone has come across mention of this particular family.

I hope to come along to your next meeting as I feel quite an attachment to this area.
many thanks. Anne Bell (nee Mowbray)
my e.mail address is annemowbray@yahoo.co.uk

Re: MOWBRAY FAMILY HISTORY IN THORPE THEWLES

I have quickly searched through copies of the Grindon Parish sections of the following directories and have found the following listings for Mowbray. The Thorpe Thewles History Group now holds copies of several official census returns for Grindon Parish covering much of the period 1841 to 1901. I will try and search these for you at a later date.

1856 Whellan’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listing for Mowbray.

1858 GPO Directory of Co. Durham: William Mowbray listed under private residences for Thorpe Thewles. He is not list along with the local farmers in the area.

1865 Whellan’s Directory of Co. Durham: Thomas Mowbray listed under private residences for Thorpe Thewles. He is not list along with the local farmers in the area.

1873 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray but there is mention of a William Montrey, Farmer at Moor House.

1879 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1881 Porter’s Directory of Stockton & Middlesbrough: No listings for Mowbray.

1894 Whellan’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listing for Mowbray.

1897 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1902 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1906 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1914 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1921 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1925 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1929 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1934 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

1938 Kelly’s Directory of Co. Durham: No listings for Mowbray.

Best Regards

Mark Smith (TTHG Webmaster)

Many thanks Mark for the work you have done. It is very much appreciated. I am really puzzled as to why there is no mention of this family of Farmers! All 4 brothers attended Yarm Grammar School as far as I am aware and, as mentioned, some of the family are buried in the Graveyard at Thorpe. However, what you have done is much appreciated.
Anne

I found the following census entry for 1871;

Thomas Mowbray - Born about 1802 Binton, Northumberland, England, Occupation: Retired farmer, Thorp, Grindon Parish.

In the 1861 census there is the following listings under Grindon Parish which must be a miss spelt version of Mowbary;

Thomas Mowbry born abt 1802 Scotland Unman
William Mowbry born abt 1844 Scotland Unman

There are no other listings for Grindon Parish under these two surnames between 1841-1911 but there are for Moutrey which could be a further miss-spelling of Mowbray?

These most recent searches are thanks to Paul Dunnill's transcribed Grindon Parish census return spreadsheets which were recently sent to the TTHG to help us with our general research and historical data bases.

All the best

Mark