Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Forum: Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Grindon Parish Church War Memorial / Roll of Honour.

The following names of fallen service men are listed on the war memorial in Grindon Parish Church, St. James’s in Thorpe Thewles.

From the Great War of 1914-18;

R. McKeag, Sergeant
J. Battle
T. Bee, Sergeant
A. Nelmes
W. Wailes
A. Taylor
F. Goldsborough
T.H. Pinch
M. Metcalfe
M. Smith

From the Second World War of 1939-45;

T C Boynton
A Daniels

I am currently trying to research details about these men, their backgrounds and families. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have found details relating to some of the men on the Commonwealth War Grave Commission web site but strangely not all of them men appear to be listed on this official site?

The names of the two WW II casualties were added to the St. James Church war memorial as late as 1992 and I am not sure that theses two names form a definitive list of those men from Grindon Parish (i.e. Grindon, Thorpe Thewles, Fulthorpe and the Wynyard Estate) who died in the last world war. Can anyone provide details of any other service personnel or civilians from Grindon Parish who died during WW II?

Regards

Mark Smith

Email  
Re: Grindon Parish Church War Memorial / Roll of Honour.

Since first posting this request this project has been taken further by a number of Members of TTHG. To date most of the research has focused on those men of Grindon Parish who fort and fell in the Great War only. To date this research has been very successful and has even highlighted errors in the spelling of some of the surnames recorded on the parish’s official roll of honour in St. James Church, Thorpe Thewles. A summary of some of the findings related to these men can be found on a short presentation that can be downloaded here. This file download may take a minute or so depending on the speed of your Internet connection.

This project has now been expanded to try and identify and record the lives of those servicemen from Grindon Parish (plus the neighbouring and now disappeared hamlet of Newfall Works & Carlton Station) who served in the Great War and who returned home. If you know of any family relations or friends’ relations who were originally from Grindon Parish and fall into the latter category we would love to hear from you. Researching those service personnel who fought and survived the Great War is proving to be far more difficult than researching those who were killed in action or died in service. Any help you can provide us with would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mark Smith

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Web Hosting