Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thorpe Thewles Parish Council in the 1890s - Joseph Grainge

I am researching some of the staff of the Marquess of Londonderry in the 1890s, and understand that Joseph Grainge, who was Butler/House Steward at Wynyard Hall at the time, sat on Thorpe Thewles Parish Council. He died in a drowning accident in Co Down on 11 April 1895, and I would be interested if there was a record of his death in the Parish Council records. Would anyone know if the Parish Council records are archived anywhere, and how I could access them?

Re: Thorpe Thewles Parish Council in the 1890s - Joseph Grainge

Hi Peter,

Am a but lost on your connection of Joseph to Wynyard and Thorpe.

As you mention Joseph was drowned in Co.Down (boating accident on Strangford Loch) his body was picked up by a passing steamer and he was laid to rest in Uxbridge Cemetery. His death was registered at Newtownards.

Probate calendar lists his address as 7 Eland Road, Lavender Hill, Surrey 2434l 9s 1d to widow, Kate Maria, therefore would he not be employed at Holderness House?

Keep smiling ... Paul