Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Forum: Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Thorpe Leazes Farm & Cottages

My grandparents on my mum's side, Gordon and Emily Duck lived at 1 Thorpe Leazes Cottages. My grandfather was a farm worker. From 5 years of age (1958) I visited my grandparents most weekends, travelling alone from my parent's home in Stockton.

Sadly my grandfather died when I was 11 years old. I had helped him work with pigs at the farm and also in his fruit and vegetable garden. To this day I remember some very special times and have a love for farm and garden to this day.

On my father's side - he grew up at The Larches, Thorpe Larches. His name was Imanuel Ridley.

I am really interested to learn more about the farm, cottages and my grandparents. I now live in the south of England and both my parents passed away when I was in my 30's.

George R Ridley

Email  
Re: Thorpe Leazes Farm & Cottages

Hi George,

Apologies for quick reply. I will add more 'meat' later.

When your grandparents moved into the cottages built next to Thorpe Leazes Farm (likely after their marriage in 1951) it would have been a relatively new build.

The Ridley family moved from Skipton to Thorpe Larches via Stockton (have yet to determine whether town of Stockton or a rural area of Stockton).

The Duck family I have in Broughton then Sleights and to Thorpe Leazes via Pickering.

Keep smiling ... Paul

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks