Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Forum: Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Information Request - Mowbray Family in the Thorpe Thewles area.

My Maiden name is Mowbray which I am researching in the Thorpe Thewles area. My Gt Grandfather William Mowbray was a Landed Inspector there, whilst living with his uncle Thomas Mowbray. This was during during the mid 1860s.

Any information related to the Mowbray family in the Thorpe Thewles area would be greatfully received.

Thanks in anticipation.

Anne Bell

Email  
Re: Information Request - Mowbray Family in the Thorpe Thewles area.

Anne,

There are 5 Mowbrays that have a connection to Thorpe Thewles.

The earliest was William Mowbray who was buried in St Thomas's at Grindon on 26th June 1813 by Joseph Arrowsmith (vicar of Sedgefield)aged 68 years.

Thomas Mowbray first appeared on the 1861 census aged 59 born in Scotland and described as a retired farmer and on the 1871 census details remained the same(apart from his age increasing to 69) and his place of birth changing to Benton, Northumberland. Thomas was buried on 17th July 1875 at Thorpe Thewles, however, it appears that his gravestone is no longer fully readable (based on details from an earlier survey).

William Mowbray, nephew of Thomas, and your great grandfather was living with his uncle in 1861 and described as a 17 year old landed proprietor born Scotland. (The enumerator Pomfret Hilkeley handwriting is certainly different especially his P's).

Comparing census Thomas was living at the same property for both census.

The other Mowbray was William who was buried on 11th Jan 1859 aged 79 years (his gravestone reads died 4th Jan 1859 aged 79 years). I believe that this may be Thomas' father.

On the 1844 Tithe map this confirms that the property that Thomas lived in was owned by William Mowbray in 1844 but was let out to George Hutchinson. A Hannah Mowbray held land within the paridh in 1841.

Hope this helps ... Paul

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Blogs   Cheap Domains