Thorpe Thewles History Group

Welcome to our forum. If you have any questions or interesting information related to any aspect of the history of the Parish of Grindon in the Tees Valley (including Thorpe Thewles, Wynyard, Grindon & Fulthorpe) please feel free to post an entry in our Forum.

Forum: Thorpe Thewles History Group
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Information requested about the Fawdon Family in Grindon Parish.

Hello

I am researching my husband's family history, including the roots of his great grandmother's husband, a John Fawdon. Although John emigrated to Australia, I can find no record of his arrival.

I have only found one reference to the Fawdon family in the 1861 census, when his parents were living in Gateshead. His father, George Fawdon, aged 46, is listed as born in Thorpe Thewles.

George married Elizabeth Heslop from Newcastle.

Can you tell me if the Fawdon name still exists in the village, or has turned up in any family histories or gravestone transcriptions?

The lack of records other than the 1861 census makes me wonder if the entire family came to Australia.

We are visiting the UK in a few weeks and I would be interested in visiting the Thorpe Thewles area.

I look forward to any help anyone can offer us.

Anita & Rob Morrison (Australia)

Email  
Re: Information requested about the Fawdon Family in Grindon Parish.

Hello Anita

In response to your enquiry, at yesterday’s monthly meeting we carried out a very preliminary electronic search on the surname “Fawdon” within the databases held by our group.

Currently, and thanks mostly a huge amount of work done by Paul Dunnill, these comprise of the following transcribed documents related to Grindon Parish;

· Census Returns (1841 to 1911)
· Burials Registers (1813 to 1938)
· Marriage Registers (1565 to 1911)
· Baptism Registers (1566 to 1911)
· Tithe Apportionments (1844)

Our initial searches only came-up with results from the last two sets of above listed databases. The information returned included the following entries;

Baptisms Entries for Fawdon:

1) Thomas Fawdon; Registered: 21 October 1810; Father’s Name: John Fawdon; Mother’s Name: Elizabeth Cumming.
2) George Fawdon; Registered: 3 November 1814; Father’s Name: John Fawdon (Occupation – Vintner); Mother’s Name: Elizabeth Fawdon.
3) William Fawdon; Registered: 23 March 1816; Father’s Name: John Fawdon (Occupation – Publican); Mother’s Name: Elizabeth Fawdon.

Tithe Apportionment Entries for Fawdon:

Plot Number: 368
Plot Size: 1 Acre
Plot Rentable Value: 1 Shilling
Plot Description: House & Garth
Plot Cultivation: Arable
Plot Owner: John Fawdon
Plot Occupiers: No.1: - William Whitfield; No.2 - Others

Based on the above it suggests to me that John Fawdon was the originally the landlord of one of the local inns. There is anecdotal evidence of three possible public houses existing within Grindon Parish in the nineteenth century all of which were located in Thorpe Thewles. Of these only two are fully documented, i.e. The Vane Arms and The Hamilton Russell Arms. Based on the Tithe Map of 1844, Plot 368 corresponds to that land occupied by The Vane Arms plus the two adjoining properties known as Vane Cottages. The fact that John is listed as the landowner and not the occupier, coupled with the fact that he does not appear to be listed as living in Grindon Parish in the 1841 Census, suggests that by 1841 the Fawdon family have left the area.

Hopefully we can find further details for you related to the Fawdon family in our area. If we can we will post them on the Forum.

TTHG Webmaster
(On behalf of those the TTTHG members present at the group’s meeting of 02/07/10)

Email  

Hello

Great to hear from you so quickly.

We can probably tell a few stories that would be interesting to other Fawdon decendents about George Fawdon's son.

If John's ancestors ran a pub then they must have been in a variety of businesses as I see from the 1861 census that his father George and Uncle Robert were whiting manufacturers. I presume that would be of the fishy kind and not blanco.

I also note from 1861 census information that George and his wife Mary were in their 40s, although they only had 2 children at home, John aged 1 and Elizabeth, 3 yrs old I think. I wondered if this meant that it was a second marriage for one of them but have since read about the great fire in Gateshead and the plague that killed off so many people and I wonder if their other children died. I'll find out in a few weeks perhaps.

Since the census has the family living in a terrible looking area (Pipewellgate in Gateshead) I must presume they were on a financial downslide.

Look forward to a cider with you in the Fawdon's pub!

Regards

Anita and Rob Morrison

Email  

Anita,

Descendants of John Fawdon

Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 FAWDON was born Abt. 1773 in Haughton, County Durham, and died Bet. Jul - Sep 1845 in Gateshead, County Durham. He married ELIZABETH CUMMINGS 24 Nov 1804 in Long Newton, Durham. She was born in Long Newton, Durham, and died Bet. Jan - Mar 1854 in Gateshead, County Durham.

More About JOHN FAWDON:
1841 Census: 1841, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 68 born in County Durham

More About ELIZABETH CUMMINGS:
1841 Census: 1841, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 60 born in County Durham (as Isabella)
1851 Census: 1851, Windmill Hills, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 74 born Long Newton

Children of JOHN FAWDON and ELIZABETH CUMMINGS are:
i. ROBERT2 FAWDON, d. Bet. Oct - Dec 1880, Gateshead, County Durham.

More About ROBERT FAWDON:
1841 Census: 1841, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 35 born in County Durham
1851 Census: 1851, Pipewellgate, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 45 born Bishop Middleham
1861 Census: 1861, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer (master employing 1 man and 1 woman) - aged 55 born Cornforth
1871 Census: 1871, Pipewellgate Street, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 65 born Cornforth, County Durham

ii. THOMAS FAWDON, b. 25 Sep 1810.

More About THOMAS FAWDON:
Baptism: 21 Oct 1810, Grindon St Thomas a Becket - Thomas son of John Fawdon and Elizabeth Cumming

2. iii. GEORGE FAWDON, d. Bet. Jul - Sep 1878, Gateshead, County Durham.
3. iv. WILLIAM FAWDON, d. Bet. Jul - Sep 1871, Gateshead, County Durham.
v. ELIZABETH FAWDON, b. 05 Jul 1818.

More About ELIZABETH FAWDON:
Baptism: 29 Jul 1818, Gateshead - daughter of John and Elizabeth Fawdon

Generation No. 2

2. GEORGE2 FAWDON (JOHN1) died Bet. Jul - Sep 1878 in Gateshead, County Durham. He married MARY ANN HESLOP Bet. Apr - Jun 1856 in Gateshead, County Durham. She died Bet. Apr - Jun 1862 in Gateshead, County Durham.

More About GEORGE FAWDON:
1841 Census: 1841, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 25 born in County Durham
1851 Census: 1851, Windmill Hills, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 36 born Thorpe Thewles
1861 Census: 1861, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 45 born Thorpe Thewles
1871 Census: 1871, Pipewellgate Street, Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer - aged 56 born Thorp
Baptism: 03 Nov 1814, Grindon St Thomas a Becket - George son of John (Vintner) and Elizabeth Fawdon of Thorpe by William Terrol, Vicar

More About MARY ANN HESLOP:
1841 Census: 1841, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - Servant to the Fawdon's - aged 20 not born in County Durham
1851 Census: 1851, Windmill Hills, Gateshead - Servant to the Fawdon's - aged 30 born Newcastle on Tyne
1861 Census: 1861, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 40 born Newcastle

Children of GEORGE FAWDON and MARY HESLOP are:
i. ELIZABETH3 FAWDON, b. 30 Jun 1857; d. Bet. Apr - Jun 1872, Gateshead, County Durham.

More About ELIZABETH FAWDON:
1861 Census: 1861, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 3 born Gateshead
1871 Census: 1871, Pipewellgate Street, Gateshead - Scholar - aged 13 born Gateshead
Baptism: 19 Jul 1857, Gateshead - daughter of George and Mary Ann Fawdon

ii. JOHN FAWDON, b. 07 Aug 1859.

More About JOHN FAWDON:
1861 Census: 1861, Pipewellgate North Side, Gateshead - aged 1 born Gateshead
1871 Census: 1871, Pipewellgate Street, Gateshead - Scholar - aged 11 born Gateshead
1881 Census: 1881, 50 Pipewellgate (House and Whiting Factory), Gateshead - Whiting Manufacturer (plaster) - aged 21 born Gateshead
Baptism: 28 Aug 1859, Gateshead - son of George and Mary Ann Fawdon

Part 2 follows as a new post

Email  

3. WILLIAM2 FAWDON (JOHN1) died Bet. Jul - Sep 1871 in Gateshead, County Durham. He married REBECCA BURTON Bet. Apr - Jun 1840 in Gateshead, County Durham. She died Bet. Oct - Dec 1879 in Gateshead, County Durham.

More About WILLIAM FAWDON:
1841 Census: 1841, 8 Melbourne Street, Gateshead - Tile Manufacturer - aged 24 born in County Durham
1851 Census: 1851, 130 High Street, Gateshead - Master Tile Maker - aged 34 born Thorp
1861 Census: 1861, Hood Street, Gateshead - Grocer - aged 43 born Thorpe Thewles
1871 Census: 1871, 25 St Cuthbert Road, Gateshead - Provision Dealer - aged 54 born Thorp
Baptism: 22 Mar 1816, Grindon St Thomas a Becket - George son of John (Publican) and Elizabeth Fawdon of Thorpe by William Terrol, Vicar

More About REBECCA BURTON:
1841 Census: 1841, 8 Melbourne Street, Gateshead - aged 23 not born in County Durham
1851 Census: 1851, 130 High Street, Gateshead - aged 31 born Newcastle
1861 Census: 1861, Hood Street, Gateshead - aged 41 born Newcastle upon Tyne
1871 Census: 1871, 25 St Cuthbert Road, Gateshead - aged 51 born Newcastle

Child of WILLIAM FAWDON and REBECCA BURTON is:
i. ELIZABETH JANE3 FAWDON, b. Bet. Apr - Jun 1845, Gateshead; m. ROBERT ROWELL, Bet. Jul - Sep 1875, Gateshead, County Durham.

More About ELIZABETH JANE FAWDON:
1851 Census: 1851, 130 High Street, Gateshead - aged 6 born Gateshead
1861 Census: 1861, Hood Street, Gateshead - aged 16 born Gateshead
1871 Census: 1871, 25 St Cuthbert Road, Gateshead - aged 26 born Gateshead

As you can see the Fawdon's stay within the parish was brief although from Mark's post they still had connections.

The whiting manufacture relates to the manufacture of plaster. Trade Directories of Gateshead may inform you as to the what uses the plaster was used.

There are maps available online for Gateshead ... I have looked at the 1849 map. Link is
http://www.joinermarriageindex.com/pjoiner/genuki/DUR/Gateshead/index.html#Maps
scroll down past the parish description and click on maps .... download the software and then click the back link and the map appears. Use the buttons on the top left to zoom in or move the map.
Below the 2nd R in River Tyne is Pipewellgate and from there Windy Hill's is South, St Mary's Church (parish church) is North East and Melbourne Street is South East.

Hope this helps.

Keep Smiling ... Paul

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Online Photo Albums   Email Forms   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting