Clifton Hampden Longbow Society Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Forum: Club Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Visit to the Mary Rose exhibition at Portsmouth 7th July.

A number of club members including myself had a thoroughly enjoyable visit to the Mary Rose exhibition. This was our second visit, and the difference this year was that the years of preservation and limited access are finally over and we were able to go round the remains of the ship`s hull in a much more realistic setting.Thanks to Richard Wadge`s excellent organisation of both visits, we were this time treated to little extras like actually being allowed to handle one of the bows and to have a close inspection of an original arrow shaft. Many thanks to Richard for his efforts to make these such successful trips.
Some of us elected to stay overnight at "The George" hotel, where the food, company and accommodation were excellent as always and far too much ale was imbibed. (I speak for myself of course!!)Thanks also to Dodge and Emma, who provided additional entertainment the following day with their jet ski at nearby Hayling island.
There is the suggestion that we visit Agincourt in 2018. So keep watching the forum!

Re: Visit to the Mary Rose exhibition at Portsmouth 7th July.

Many thanks was an excellent time.... Plus today Biscuit treated Dodge and myself to the most authentic Mary Rose re-enactment! Capsizing not far from the original site. After a coastguard helicopter fly over, the harbour master powerboat, RNLI powerboat and apparently coast guard on land too, (honestly), Chris came to the rescue on the jet ski! .....didnt fancy being stuck in a cabinet 500 years from now and gawped at by tourists! Was excellent time - great fun. The best bit was as the boat flipped over looking like was going to sink, leaving us drifting further out to sea, Rich very calmly said "The waters quite warm". Guess ya wont find any weavels in that biscuit! :)

Email  

(The post time on forum is 8hours behind)

Email  

And I have been thinking of the conversation at breakfast at the hotel prior to the great sea adventure:

"The owl and the ***** cat went to sea in a beautiful pea green boat. (Biscuit and Mark?)
They took some beer,(Sorry, honey), and lots of money, wrapped up in an old raincoat.
Biscuit looked up to the stars above and sang to his old pint mug. Oh lovely bitter, oh bitter my love, what a beautiful bitter you are!
They sailed away across the bay to the shoal where the bong tree grows, and there in the mud, Chris Radbone stood with more beer and a fresh change of clothes. with more beer and a fresh change of clothes.
Dear Chris are you willing to sell for one shilling, those clothes and Chris said I will.
They went home next day in the month of May with the Turtle that lived on the hill, the hill, the Turtle that lived on the hill."

A band of brave archers near Hayling,
Sailed off round the coast wind prevailing,
Whilst beer they were sipping,
The boat went a flipping,
Full re-enactment of Mary Rose sailing!

Email  

Oh yes!! Great poem Mark. Totally appropriate.
Marc Powell told me by the way that he growls "Come on Stevens" all the time now, even in his sleep!

Love your version of the owl' sea shanty too :)

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools