VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum

none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Australian Speaks Out

AN AUSTRALIAN SPEAKS OUT

(Contributor's note- Forwarding for your reading pleasure I received this from George

Arnold a SEAFOX shipmate who received it from another SEAFOX shipmate I don't

know [or perhaps don't remember] Frank Lister. His daughter-in-law wrote it. I

thought you might enjoy it.)

Roy Hill, CTTCS(SS)

"Letters to the Editor

WA Newspapers

GPO Box N1027

Perth

WA 6843

Nicola Winter's letter (13/2/03) raises some interesting issues. I concur with

her comments. I've recently returned home to Perth after spending the past year in

the U.S., and I'm perplexed at the remarks I've heard and the anti-Americanism that

seems to be rampant in our country. I am married to a United States Submariner,

who at this time is risking his life in the Gulf so that we may endure our freedom. It

angers me to think my husband will have to hear such negativity when he visits here

after his time in the Gulf. So often I've praised our country and its people, like how

we aren't afraid to fight for what's right and how we stand by our allies and each

other. I'm amazed at the ignorance and selfishness of Australians. Have we forgotten

the Bali bombings already? I'm sure if 9/11 had been in Sydney or even little old

Perth, Australians would want the U.S to come running and wipe out the force

behind it. How comfortable it is to know our allies, like my husband and Nicola's

husband will watch our back. Now we are required to help them, and all they receive

in return is a slap in the face. Please, don't disrespect them anymore, It's about time

all Australians woke up and realized we are no longer invincible and we are not

every ones "mate". We are a target for terrorism simply because we are westerners!

When it gets down to it, whom are you going to trust; the United States of America

or Iraq??

I appreciate the right to have an opinion, but how about being more

constructive and less inflamed. My belief is the protection of our freedom and a safe

world for my future children to grow up in. The "I'm alright" behavior is inappropriate

and naive of the changed world we all now live in. Where has the Australian

mateship character gone?

Mrs Colette Lister