VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum

none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Stuff of VPB-111 and VP-21

Call for Biographies

The Association Webmaster wants to publish your biography on the VPB-111/ VP-21 Veterans Association website. If you were a member of either VB-111, VPB-111, VP-111, VP(HL)-11or VP-21, then you are part of our history, as well as part of the U.S. Navy's history.

While the basics of our squadrons' histories are formally documented in various publications, incuding our own website History Pages, most individual personal histories are not. When I accepted the post of website director, one of my primary goals was to gather those histories in the form of biographies. Who were these individuals who made our squadrons function? Who were those willing to go into Harm's Way? When did they join the Navy? Where did they grow up? What were their jobs in the squadron? In other Navy assignments? What were some of their memorable events? What did they do after the Navy? What about their families? What are they doing now?

These are some of the things I'm sure we would all like to know about our old shipmates, our brethren - about those who were in the squadron when we were, to be sure, but also about those shipmates who preceeded us and prepared the way, and those whom we passed the baton onto. All of us, from 1943 to 1969, worked and played together, sacrificed and celebrated together, and placed our lives in each other's hands on a daily basis. That's how spirit is born. Performing our duty and measuring up helped our character to develop. We were, and remain, family. It's why we look forward to seeing each other again. It's what makes us proud to have served together. It's what makes us proud to have been American sailors.

So I want your story. I want to make it available to all who want to read it, whether it be your brethren shipmates, historians, family, or friends. I want photos too; ideally of when you first joined the Navy, during your squadron days, and the present. You can email your biography and photos to me, or send them to me via the USPS.

Please! Don't be shy. I know many of us are reluctant to talk about ourselves. I had to hound and shame in order to get the few biographies we have posted so far (a motley crew at that). And in practicing what I preach, I put mine in first. Just remember that you're among friends here. And don't worry about the technicalities of structure, grammar, or spelling. I'll make that my job (or maybe my wife's). Just talk about yourself and work in answers to the following questions:

Where did you grow up?

When did you join the Navy?

When were you in VPB-111 and/ or VP-21?

What was your job in the squadron?

Talk about a memorable event or two - and name names.

If you made the Navy a career, what were your other assignments?

What did you do after the Navy?

What are you doing now?

Talk about your family (spouse's name, children's names, grandchildren, etc).

Frank Balogh Jr.

1749 Burroughs Drive

Dayton, OH 45406

Tel: 937-278-8057

EMAIL: fbalogh@woh.rr.com