VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum

none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Author needs P4M-1 help

I too loved the P4M as did most of the people who flew in them.

Little has been said about how the Navy destroyed every one( or almost every one ) that flew,not considering that it was a historic aircraft.

But there is one left ( I believe)that went down in Chesapeake bay ,while on a test flight.We could probably interest some millionaire in resorecting it EXCEPT the Navy still owns it! and as they treat all of their property,if you get it up IT IS THEIRS.How do you combat such insanity!

RON Lenhoff,Sect.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Mel Davidow needs help from you P4M-1ers. His email is meldavidow@aol.com. He wrote the following in our log book:

I am writing a book on the P4M-1 and P4M-1Q aircraft as this is a bit of US Naval history that is being lost as the number of us that flew and maintained the Mercator are becoming fewer each year. If you had any experience with the P4M and have any interesting tales of the aircraft, please contact me at meldavidow@aol.com.

On 12 January, 1951, I was one of twelve U.S. Naval Aviators who were issued orders that began the process that resulted in our flying the P4M-1 at VP-21

From February 3 to May 8, 1951, we were assigned to VP-21 & Electronics Test, NAS Patuxent River for P4M-1 training and to wait for the delivery of our four P4M-1Qs from the Martin Aircraft Company. On an early familiarization hop, I had the dubious fortune to be in a P4M-1 accident (HC-6 - Buno 124366). I was in the Nav compartment as an observer as we were taxiing when the PPC was informed over the intercom that a possible hydraulic leak seemed to be developing at the hydraulic control valves (flap, landing gear, and bomb bay doors) located on the port side of the aircraft forward of the wing. The navigator went back to check - I followed to observe. He commented on the amount of hydraulic fluid leaking out. Before anyone could stop him, he reached down, manually moved the landing gear valve to the down position and then to the up position. For a few moments nothing happened, then the nose of the aircraft started to settle slowly to the taxiway as the nose wheel retracted. The main gear stayed in place, fortunately, and the pilot, LT Lee McHugh, was able to pull the emergency stop all engines switch in time to take power off of the engines as the props hit.