none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ANYONE REMEMBER "BILL'S BAR"

Bill,

That name sure is familiar. Was that bar across from the N.Y. Port Authority? I use to make the Brunswick to Long Island run at least twice a month during my time in VP-21 (1958 - 1961). My car was a 1956 Chevy, black sides, hood top and trunk was white, V-8 /w/a stick. At that time I had the squadron record from Bruns. to Levittown in 5 hrs. 15 min. Unfortunately, a telephone pole claimed that car next to a cemetery(eerie). VP-21 was the best duty I ever had. Jack Maryon (Parachute Rigger)

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

ANYONE REMEMBER WEEKEND LIBERTY TO NEW YORK FROM BRUNSWICK, ME.

WHEN I WAS IN 1958-60 WE USED TO CARPOOL TO NEW YORK,IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY WE CHIPPED IN ABOUT $4 TO 5 DOLLARS EACH ROUNDTRIP.(HELL GAS WAS ABOUT 25 CENTS PER GALLON THEN)

FOR SOME REASON BILL'S BAR ON 181 STREET BECAME THE DE- FACTO BUS STOP.

IF YOU MISSED YOUR RIDE YOU COULD USUALLY CATCH ANOTHER ONE THERE SUNDAY AFTERNOON..MANY TIMES YOU WOULD SEE 8 TO 10 CARS AND 25 TO 30 GUYS THERE GETTING SET TO TAKE OFF.

I WONDER IF THAT BAR IS STILL THERE?

Re: Re: ANYONE REMEMBER "BILL'S BAR"

NO JACK, BILLS BAR WAS ON 181 STREET IN MAHATTEN THE PORT ATHORITY WAS ABOUT 42 STREET.... SORRY ABOUT YOUR CAR BUT HELL YOUR STILL HERE

BILL

Replying to:

Bill,

That name sure is familiar. Was that bar across from the N.Y. Port Authority? I use to make the Brunswick to Long Island run at least twice a month during my time in VP-21 (1958 - 1961). My car was a 1956 Chevy, black sides, hood top and trunk was white, V-8 /w/a stick. At that time I had the squadron record from Bruns. to Levittown in 5 hrs. 15 min. Unfortunately, a telephone pole claimed that car next to a cemetery(eerie). VP-21 was the best duty I ever had. Jack Maryon (Parachute Rigger)

Replying to:

ANYONE REMEMBER WEEKEND LIBERTY TO NEW YORK FROM BRUNSWICK, ME.

WHEN I WAS IN 1958-60 WE USED TO CARPOOL TO NEW YORK,IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY WE CHIPPED IN ABOUT $4 TO 5 DOLLARS EACH ROUNDTRIP.(HELL GAS WAS ABOUT 25 CENTS PER GALLON THEN)

FOR SOME REASON BILL'S BAR ON 181 STREET BECAME THE DE- FACTO BUS STOP.

IF YOU MISSED YOUR RIDE YOU COULD USUALLY CATCH ANOTHER ONE THERE SUNDAY AFTERNOON..MANY TIMES YOU WOULD SEE 8 TO 10 CARS AND 25 TO 30 GUYS THERE GETTING SET TO TAKE OFF.

I WONDER IF THAT BAR IS STILL THERE?