VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum

none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Malta

BILL DID YOU KNOW THAT TINE HADA BROTHER. HE WAS AN INSPECTOR. TINE WOULD HAVE BEEN BUT HE KILLED A MAN WITH HIS BARE HANDS. HE SAVED MY BUT MORE THEN ONCE. NORM

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

READ YOUR POST AND ALMOST WET MY PANTS LAUGHING WITH YOUR MENTION OF "TINY" THE GUT COP.

I WAS A MESS COOK IN 1958 AT NAS HALFAR.....GOOD DUTY ...MESS COOKS GOT A CLASS A LIBERTY CARD EVERY NIGHT.

I SPENT MANY NIGHTS HAVING "GIN AND ORANGE" IN VALETTA AMONG OTHER THINGS... WHAT THE HELL I WAS THEN 18 AND BULLET PROOF.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY REFRESHER

BILL

Replying to:

Hi,

My name is Jack Maryon and was in VP-21 '58-'61 as a PR, which was the best duty of my entire career. I had the opportunity to visit Malta July 2002 as part of an assignment for U.S. Customs. Frank is posting my profile which will include my entire 20 country trip for Customs.

While in Malta I visited the walled city of Medina, Floriana, Valletta, plus many more places. While walking down Republic St. (The Gut), Valletta I thought I heard voices saying, "come in Juice and have a beer", after shaking my head, the voice would disappear.

I also visited the police station which was not in the same place, across from the Egyptian Queen. I figured as a retired cop I could find out where Tiny was. Just about everyone knew Tiny, he was as big as a horse. See my profile when it's posted for more details of my trips. Hope to hear from some of my old buddies. Jack (jackmaryon@cox.net)

Re: Malta

Malta memories: After riding the bus, or taking a taxi to downtown Valleta, having P2 R3350 engines blow up at 1500 feet, getting hit by lightning, or getting shot at by MIGs just because we got a little too close to their borders was great conditioning. It was still scary, but nothing as gut wrenching as going into town on a bus or a taxi at night, down hill, engine off, lights off. God those were the days! Our adrenal glands really got a workout then.

And Tiny! I have not thought of that giant in years. He was a pretty decent guy to us. But a British sailor had best beware getting on Tiny's bad side. Thanks for stirring the gray matter Jack.

Replying to:

Hi,

My name is Jack Maryon and was in VP-21 '58-'61 as a PR, which was the best duty of my entire career. I had the opportunity to visit Malta July 2002 as part of an assignment for U.S. Customs. Frank is posting my profile which will include my entire 20 country trip for Customs.

While in Malta I visited the walled city of Medina, Floriana, Valletta, plus many more places. While walking down Republic St. (The Gut), Valletta I thought I heard voices saying, "come in Juice and have a beer", after shaking my head, the voice would disappear.

I also visited the police station which was not in the same place, across from the Egyptian Queen. I figured as a retired cop I could find out where Tiny was. Just about everyone knew Tiny, he was as big as a horse. See my profile when it's posted for more details of my trips. Hope to hear from some of my old buddies. Jack (jackmaryon@cox.net)

Memories, memories. I wish we had cruise books in those days. I can remember coming back from Operation Springboard in one of the squadron planes and getting hit by lightning somewhere over SC.

This site is awesome. Remember the deployment from Malta to Karachi? I recall Migs on each wing tip just waiting for us to get off course. The night before us ground pounders were scheduled to leave Karachi, the A/C fell off the jack stand and bent the wing spar. We were told to hitch hike back to Malta.

The Hotel Metropol is a story in itself. I still have a copy of the paid bill and a hotel patch. Those who were there know what I'm talking about. I'll stop boring you with all these war stories. We could all write a book. Jack

Replying to:

Malta memories: After riding the bus, or taking a taxi to downtown Valleta, having P2 R3350 engines blow up at 1500 feet, getting hit by lightning, or getting shot at by MIGs just because we got a little too close to their borders was great conditioning. It was still scary, but nothing as gut wrenching as going into town on a bus or a taxi at night, down hill, engine off, lights off. God those were the days! Our adrenal glands really got a workout then.

And Tiny! I have not thought of that giant in years. He was a pretty decent guy to us. But a British sailor had best beware getting on Tiny's bad side. Thanks for stirring the gray matter Jack.

Replying to:

Hi,

Re: Re: Re: Malta

Those memories of Malta are great but you guys spent too much time in the gut and didn't sample the beautiful women.

How about little Joe the taxi driver who brought us breakfast every morning and the quonset huts that burnt your fingers when you touched them or the salt water showers and swimming in Octupos creek.

AND the BREAD I still pine for it.

Visited there again in '82 and it wasn't the same but still great.The big hotels ruined the beaches!!

Replying to:

Memories, memories. I wish we had cruise books in those days. I can remember coming back from Operation Springboard in one of the squadron planes and getting hit by lightning somewhere over SC.

This site is awesome. Remember the deployment from Malta to Karachi? I recall Migs on each wing tip just waiting for us to get off course. The night before us ground pounders were scheduled to leave Karachi, the A/C fell off the jack stand and bent the wing spar. We were told to hitch hike back to Malta.

The Hotel Metropol is a story in itself. I still have a copy of the paid bill and a hotel patch. Those who were there know what I'm talking about. I'll stop boring you with all these war stories. We could all write a book. Jack

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,

Re: Re: Re: Re: Malta

O Yes Ron I remember the women. I remember one real nice Ren that a real good Buddy brought home for a suvener(spelling.

Also Joes in Bergabuge. and who was the shipmate that did 30 days in the brige there for wipping the hell out of a Lime officer. 3 to 3 and they never got the other 2. They started it and they wanted to hang us all becouse we didn't find out they were officers untill the next day. Good memories. Norm

Replying to:

Those memories of Malta are great but you guys spent too much time in the gut and didn't sample the beautiful women.

How about little Joe the taxi driver who brought us breakfast every morning and the quonset huts that burnt your fingers when you touched them or the salt water showers and swimming in Octupos creek.

AND the BREAD I still pine for it.

Visited there again in '82 and it wasn't the same but still great.The big hotels ruined the beaches!!

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,

Why is it that no one mentions the cab driver( what was his name ) who was at the entrance to the quonset huts every day(marning and night( with goodies for breakfast or a cheap ride to town for liberty.What a great little guy he was!!

Ron

Replying to:

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,

Re: Malta

Hi Jack,Well I did 31/2 trips to Malta. And I'm alittle confused, The Gut was Strate Street. and I never saw a walled Medina. that was in Rabat and Portliody Moroco.

You my have mixed up some of your places or my mind an't as sharp as it was. My forgetting is alot better then my remembering. Your Shipmate Norm Roinestad ( I Have a profile, with pitures comeing)

Replying to:

Hi,

Norm,

You are 100% correct, it is Strait St. (the great street). As we departed our Hotel Phoenicia in Floriana, we would pass through the under pass into Valletta. Traveling down Republic St. we would make a left on St. John St. to Strait St. and could turn either left or right.

The walled city is Medina which is the highest city on Malta. It was a long ride by bus, but well worth visiting. There are many old churches, museums, catacombs, etc. This city dates back to the Roman times about 4000 years ago.

Too bad I didn't see all this when I was deployed there about 100+ years ago. The only thing I saw were beer joints, etc. If I return again next year, I plan on visiting there again to see what I missed. See you at the reunion. Merry Christmas. Jack

Replying to:

Hi Jack,Well I did 31/2 trips to Malta. And I'm alittle confused, The Gut was Strate Street. and I never saw a walled Medina. that was in Rabat and Portliody Moroco.

You my have mixed up some of your places or my mind an't as sharp as it was. My forgetting is alot better then my remembering. Your Shipmate Norm Roinestad ( I Have a profile, with pitures comeing)

Replying to:

Hi,

Hi Jack, another little tid bid, of info. You didn't memtion going to see the catacomes (can't spell) also the Must that a bomb went throw the roof and didn't explod. It's still there in the floor. Do You remember Sara the laundry lady. She would tell me if I lost or gained weight when I came back. Have a beautifull Christmas. And I will be at the reunion. Norm

Replying to:

Norm,

You are 100% correct, it is Strait St. (the great street). As we departed our Hotel Phoenicia in Floriana, we would pass through the under pass into Valletta. Traveling down Republic St. we would make a left on St. John St. to Strait St. and could turn either left or right.

The walled city is Medina which is the highest city on Malta. It was a long ride by bus, but well worth visiting. There are many old churches, museums, catacombs, etc. This city dates back to the Roman times about 4000 years ago.

Too bad I didn't see all this when I was deployed there about 100+ years ago. The only thing I saw were beer joints, etc. If I return again next year, I plan on visiting there again to see what I missed. See you at the reunion. Merry Christmas. Jack

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,

Re: Re: Re: Re: Malta

The catacombs I visited (under a church) in '58, I couldn't visit this last time because you needed a reservation. That was the best one, I remember all the mummies hanging on the wall. I do remember the unexploded bomb in that church. I hope to see more next time. If we keep going down this memory lane, someone could gather all this info and put a cruise book together.

Replying to:

Hi Jack, another little tid bid, of info. You didn't memtion going to see the catacomes (can't spell) also the Must that a bomb went throw the roof and didn't explod. It's still there in the floor. Do You remember Sara the laundry lady. She would tell me if I lost or gained weight when I came back. Have a beautifull Christmas. And I will be at the reunion. Norm

Replying to:

Norm,

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Malta

you got that right about the memories, I just hope they leave out the parts about the fights with the Royal Britsh Marines, and the stolen jeep, and mini bus. I plead the fifth. Those were some grate time. Chow for now

Norm

Replying to:

The catacombs I visited (under a church) in '58, I couldn't visit this last time because you needed a reservation. That was the best one, I remember all the mummies hanging on the wall. I do remember the unexploded bomb in that church. I hope to see more next time. If we keep going down this memory lane, someone could gather all this info and put a cruise book together.

Replying to:

Replying to:

Norm,

Replying to:

Replying to:

Hi,