VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum

none

VP-21/ VPB-111 Veterans Association Message Board and Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Electronic memories

Frank, I never nitpick a hard-working man, but I notice in your bio you have listed the ARN-21 twice, once as omni, once as TACAN. I remember the -21 was TACAN, and I think the OMNI was ARN-18 (at least in the SP-2H model?).

Willie Colvin (my first 1st tech) and I exchange reminiscences from time to time, and we delight in testing each other's memories on the old systems: ARN-6 (Birddog) ARC-27 (UHF), ARC-38 (SSB/HF) ARC-94 (SSB/HF) AIC-5/15 (ICS) ALR-8/APR-9/13 (ECM) ALR-3 (ECM) APN-122(Doppler)APA-125 (APS 20 display before the ASA-16 came)ASQ-8 (MAD) ASR-3(Sniffer)ASA-20 (Julie)AQA-3/4(Jez)PT-396(DRT)

For the life of me I can't remember the scope that sat to the left of the Jez recorder that we used to monitor the AQA-15 active buoys, nor can I recall the VHF radio (It went to ARC-84 in the P-3's). APN-22? Radar altimeter?

Ah well, a mind is a terrible thing to lose, eh? Does anyone remember the official designation of the drift meter or the retro-launcher? Hernia bars for the ordnance? 5" HVARS for those heartpounding rocket runs? Water dumping on you when you opened the astro-hatch? Frozen piss-tubes in the aft station (or the diabolical AO's who used to stick them out the windows faced forward into the slipstream to entertain the cockpit crews.....)

Great times; glad they're memories - checking a CSD fan on ramp ice at -20, 6 feet behind the big fan was not fun.....................nor was trying to clean exhaust trails and AV-80 avlube off the nacelles when the snow was falling............

Well, I've wasted your time.

Thanks for all the hard work........

Rog

Re: Electronic memories

Roger,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. While the trip is more difficult to make these days, I really enjoyed it.

I was redundant with the ARN-21 TACAN, but only because I used the wrong numbers for the OMNI (you'd think that since there are only ten digits to use that I would get it right the first time). What I meant to say was "ARN-14 OMNI" (at least that's what it was in the P2V-7 buno 145908 in 1960. Thanks for noticing. The ARN-18 must have come along after my watch.

You threw in the APN-122 (Doppler) and the APN-22 (Radar Altimeter) no doubt to confuse me (and this is not difficult to do these days). I believe the Radar Altimeter was the APN-22 - which also worked on the Doppler principle.

I believe the VHF Transceiver was the ARC-5. Prior to the ARC-38, we were using the ART-13 Knucklebuster as our HF transmitter.

Active buoy scope? My recollection (qualifying again) is that the Jez position was almost right up against the divider bulkhead separating the copilot and Jez operator, and that the only equipment there was the thermal recorder and receiver controls.

Ah, some of your memories of the joy of flying stir me no end. Winters in Brunswick, Keflvik, and Argentia. -20 and colder with high winds and ice ramps. And then deployment to our Med paradise where engines exploded at 1500 feet off the deck, MIGs shooting at you (and hitting) disabling the hydraulics then trying to manuever through the narrow Albanian mountain passes to escape. Promising God if you ever get back down safely that you'll change your ways and never ever get back in that #$%*### flying coffin. Becoming addicted to adrenalin. Ah, the good old days. Sounds like song material to be sung to the tune of "These are a few of my Favorite Things". END

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Frank, I never nitpick a hard-working man, but I notice in your bio you have listed the ARN-21 twice, once as omni, once as TACAN. I remember the -21 was TACAN, and I think the OMNI was ARN-18 (at least in the SP-2H model?).

Willie Colvin (my first 1st tech) and I exchange reminiscences from time to time, and we delight in testing each other's memories on the old systems: ARN-6 (Birddog) ARC-27 (UHF), ARC-38 (SSB/HF) ARC-94 (SSB/HF) AIC-5/15 (ICS) ALR-8/APR-9/13 (ECM) ALR-3 (ECM) APN-122(Doppler)APA-125 (APS 20 display before the ASA-16 came)ASQ-8 (MAD) ASR-3(Sniffer)ASA-20 (Julie)AQA-3/4(Jez)PT-396(DRT)

For the life of me I can't remember the scope that sat to the left of the Jez recorder that we used to monitor the AQA-15 active buoys, nor can I recall the VHF radio (It went to ARC-84 in the P-3's). APN-22? Radar altimeter?

Ah well, a mind is a terrible thing to lose, eh? Does anyone remember the official designation of the drift meter or the retro-launcher? Hernia bars for the ordnance? 5" HVARS for those heartpounding rocket runs? Water dumping on you when you opened the astro-hatch? Frozen piss-tubes in the aft station (or the diabolical AO's who used to stick them out the windows faced forward into the slipstream to entertain the cockpit crews.....)

Great times; glad they're memories - checking a CSD fan on ramp ice at -20, 6 feet behind the big fan was not fun.....................nor was trying to clean exhaust trails and AV-80 avlube off the nacelles when the snow was falling............

Rog

Re: Re: Electronic memories

Frank;

I remember well, the ART-13 and how difficult it was to keep frequencies locked in.I had a good one and had to post guard dogs on the plane to keep it from being highjacked in midnight stores.

How about the wire recorders? you young guys didn't get to deal with them

How about keeping your buddies from lifting your equipment ,while your plane was down for an engine change??

Replying to:

Roger,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. While the trip is more difficult to make these days, I really enjoyed it.

I was redundant with the ARN-21 TACAN, but only because I used the wrong numbers for the OMNI (you'd think that since there are only ten digits to use that I would get it right the first time). What I meant to say was "ARN-14 OMNI" (at least that's what it was in the P2V-7 buno 145908 in 1960. Thanks for noticing. The ARN-18 must have come along after my watch.

You threw in the APN-122 (Doppler) and the APN-22 (Radar Altimeter) no doubt to confuse me (and this is not difficult to do these days). I believe the Radar Altimeter was the APN-22 - which also worked on the Doppler principle.

I believe the VHF Transceiver was the ARC-5. Prior to the ARC-38, we were using the ART-13 Knucklebuster as our HF transmitter.

Active buoy scope? My recollection (qualifying again) is that the Jez position was almost right up against the divider bulkhead separating the copilot and Jez operator, and that the only equipment there was the thermal recorder and receiver controls.

Ah, some of your memories of the joy of flying stir me no end. Winters in Brunswick, Keflvik, and Argentia. -20 and colder with high winds and ice ramps. And then deployment to our Med paradise where engines exploded at 1500 feet off the deck, MIGs shooting at you (and hitting) disabling the hydraulics then trying to manuever through the narrow Albanian mountain passes to escape. Promising God if you ever get back down safely that you'll change your ways and never ever get back in that #$%*### flying coffin. Becoming addicted to adrenalin. Ah, the good old days. Sounds like song material to be sung to the tune of "These are a few of my Favorite Things". END

Replying to:

Rog

Re: Re: Re: Electronic memories

Ron,

We still had the wire recorders in the P2V-7s. They were hooked up to the Intercom and all VHF/ UHF comms so they recorded all internal and external communications. Don't recall ever having a problem with mine. Ahhh, but that ART 13....you could spend a lifetime tweaking that devil. Thank the god Neptune for the ARC-38 which replaced it. The 38 tuned up both send and receive frequencies, tuned the antenna, then shined your shoes, all in a few seconds. END

Re: Re: Electronic memories

the scope between the J J system and the bulkhead was the sperry engine anylizer--- I know--I dont spell [GOOD] [ MAC ] tom mancuso