Talk Cemeteries
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What topics about Cemeteries do you want to start?

Carla,
I wish I had a good answer that would help retrieve unreadable information, but I don't.

Water is acceptable as the occasional rains do that

Shaving lather is not OK because it seeps into the stone and gives food to fungi that damages the stone further.

I like the idea of rubbings: take a blank piece of paper, hold it firmly against the stone and rub it with chalk, crayola, charcoal, or even a green weed or grass, to get information to show up better on the paper.

My process is to photograph the tombstone, place the photo online with all the other tombstones in that cemetery, and let users give information about those they know of.

-=Allen=-

Hi Carla, I have the same problem. Ancestors grave in Kensal Green All souls Cemetrey London UK is covered in moss and over 300 years old. I tried to gently scrape away with my finger nail and took out a chunk of the stone. I obviously wish to read the inscription but do not know how to acheive this without damage.
Recorded in the cemetrey records there are 4 ancestors in that grave(2 plots)

Any advice appreciated.
Val

Walking around in old cemete3ries ?

I try to not make a path on top of old graves, but you will sooner or later. Just do your best and do not worry about making a mistake.

-=Allen=-

I realize ost people like the idea of rubbing..but if you are dealing with very old stones...try to avoid that...I have found your best bet is to photo them..and just write what you can for your records?

rubbings

I have found interface material (cloth) to be the best for rubbings. It will mould to the gravestone and flex without too much trouble. A flat, round chalk puck and you are in business!

fyi interface is the thin material used under furniture for dust control. flip a chair on its side to take a look.

If I were you I would go to a nursery or a landscape center and ask what they use to remove mold from large stones. I've found they usually have some good ideas and most of the ingredients you probably have at home.

Good Luck

Carla, I have found it best to go to the cemetery in very early spring or late winter and if possible, right after a freeze. The lichen and moss are vulnerable at that time and you can practically brush it off with your fingers.