Art Nude UK Forum

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Art Nude UK Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4
Author
Comment
Discussion on Life Modelling

Hello All,
I was thinking of holding a discussion on Life Modelling, hearing your views on it, what you like and hate about,
Please send your thoughts to shazsmithers@yahoo.com thank you Sharon.

Re: Discussion on Life Modelling

OK, I'll start.
I'm a very experienced life model working with both art groups and hen parties. And whilst both are satisfying, modelling for the groups can be both boring as often people don't talk and quite painful when the poses are long, whereas hen parties are much more fun.

Well I mainly do groups for life modelling and i like it alot, very inspiring, I was thinking Mentally life modelling is very fulfilling and outstanding,I think mental health is important, stepping further on the discussion. Why do you like Hen Party life modelling ?

I get much out of "serious" life modelling, primarily from the work of the artists, but I find that the groups in general tend to be lacking in fun, which the hen parties and stag parties, team-building dos etc are not. They're not all like that of course. In addition the posing can be much more demanding, for example, I did a class where I had to do two poses for one drawing representing the biblical story of Jacob fighting the angel, and I do a group which is one pose in silence for 3 hours. That quickly gets painful and boring.

Hen parties have much more interaction with the group as they're there to be entertained have have paid serious money for the privilege.

One aspect of life modelling which is not widely understood is the huge impact on self-confidence it can have that is carried through to every aspect of the model's life, from delivering a presentation at work, to engaging with strangers. After all, if you're comfortable standing naked in front of a group of people you've never met before (and I do university student unions which are attended by over 100) you're unlikely to be shy about anything else!

I think Hen partys are a different kind of Life modelling it is not the real thing, It is about giggly girls trying to be serious about drawing a naked man, sorry that is what i think.

Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've done a number of hen party modelling gigs up here in the North West and the participants have generally taken drawing my nude body as a challenge, and tried to do a good job - and the atmosphere has always been light hearted.

I really love doing life modelling, either for individual artists or for groups - I am happiest when doing quick, gymnastic poses , and also when doing "interactive" tableaux with other models. I've been ANUK's North Western Correspondent for a good couple of years now, and my thoughts and experiences I've described in my seasonal essays show how much I enjoy being a full time life model. I take pride in being as far as I know the only life model who is a member of the Society of Catholic Artists, and I go into this more fully in my essay "Naked Before God" in my Member's Page. I also do a lot of anatomical modelling for medical students - I'd love to hear of other model's experiences of this branch of our work.

Hi Gang. Alan here.

It's nice to see the forum buzzing with activity.
I have been low on the ground as my Dear Lady has
been very unwell recently so my mind has been somewhere else.

I thank you both for your input and newsletters - great stuff.
Let me know when the next newsletters are due?
When I have received both I will make them live on your own pages.
Til then take care and happy xmas, and all the best for the coming year.
Regards. Alan at Art Nude UK......................................

Most importantly, Alan, I hope that your Good Lady is feeling better - give her our love, especially at this time of year.

As regards my winter contribution, I had in mind to send it off to you early in the new year, but if I can finish it earlier, it might be earlier than that.

Dear Alan, I am sorry to hear about your young lady, hope she gets better soon, regarding the newsletter i was going to do it in the new year if that is okay ?
Thank you for letting me write a news letter, it is time healer, and makes me think about my love of life modelling.
Thanks Again regards to your missus, Sharon x

When I submit my next newsletter, I shall draw everybody's attention to this thread in the Forum, and say to everyone that this is a wonderful opportunity to say what they think about the world of nude life modelling. Even if we get a small proportion of members, that would be great. And views from artists about models and the modelling scene would be interesting.

And one thing, Alan - is it technically feasible to include images in this thread, to illuminate people's contributions - including mine?

Have a great weekend, one and all.

Thanks Kenneth about regarding this thread in your next newsletter i shall mention it too,
Merry Christmas to you all and Happy 2019, thank you everyone who i have modelled for.Sharon x

Brilliant that we've got 500 nude models - just imagine if the whole lot of us were to come together in one of those events that Spencer Tunick is famous for (i.e the one at Hull a year or so ago.) Something to think about!!

Lots of love to all, and everyone have a happy and successful 2019.

xxx

Maybe we should organise something like that in the new year Kenneth, what do you think ?
All The best to you all, Cannot wait till the new year, Happy Successful New Year 2019 to you all Sharon x

Yes Sharon, I intend to raise the idea of a mass gathering on the lines of the Tunick events when I submit my next NW newsletter. I have participated in a couple of those events (besides Hull, one in Greenwich some while ago, and another on the South Downs) and believe me they are fantastic!

Dear Kenneth, & all, I took part in an Angelo Musco about 2012 in a London Studio with fellow life models, thar was a great experience, and may i be obliged to say i took part in a Horror Film called Webcast with other life models too, playing neighbours, And now it is on Amazon Prime which it was relaunched on Saturday 15th of December 2018, premier in February 2019. What a Hoot !

Angelo Musco's work is truly remarkable, with striking and powerful images. As I mentioned in my inaugural essay on my Members page, I took part at about the same time in something similar to his work, namely a photographic recreation of William Blake's "Dante's Inferno", with a number of other RAM models, involving bodies writhing in torment and anguish.

The film Webcast also sounds interesting; participating in Horror films is right up my street - I've been a sacrificial victim in "Deathscream" , with a sequel in mind for shooting in 2019, together with an appearance in a re-make of H P Lovecraft's "Re-Animator". All good fun as long as you don't take it seriously!!

Absolutely i totally agree with you Kenneth, it was awesome been involved with Angelo Musco and been an extra in the Webcast, what more can you ask for ?
I think being a professional life model gives you lots of opportunities which you must grab when offered.

I like to wish everyone on here A Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year in 2019, and wishing you all Good Luck and Success, Best Wishes love Sharon xx

And a very Happy Christmas and New Year to you also, Sharon.

All the very best

Ken xxx

Thank You Ken
All the best to you,
Sharon xxx

Wishing everyone A Happy New Year 2019, thank you for reading my Newsletters.
Best Wishes,
Sharon Smithers

Let's start a new topic, Well I have bookings through to January, February and March, how about the rest of you please ? Sharon X

Happy New Year to all!

I'm delighted that I've got a load of bookings for life drawing groups between now and Easter, with something every week: the majority around Greater Manchester, together with Chester and Wirral. Besides these, I've been booked for nude sculpture and bodycasting during February. And then there are various interesting gigs promised by Bill Garland for "Bespoke Bare Boys", with two Hen Party sessions in the diary for March, and anything else he needs me for as his "muse.".

And not forgetting a couple of "Murder Mystery" bookings in prospect, and fortnightly modelling for the care home class near Frodsham I mentioned in a recent newsletter. I see this as one of my most important jobs, as the artists there are such lovely people and I want to do my best for them.

And in March, off to Cornwall for the start of shooting for "Deathscream 2" !

My sessions consist of being at Rochester UCA for computer animation students this month, Ramsgaate The Archieve with Julia Rogers and Class Art on the 31st of January, In February my gigs are Deal life Drawing & Beach Creative in Herne Bay, both evening classes, later on at Rochester UCA and Ramsgate again, finishing off at The Art Academy for a weekend portrait class. March is a mixture too, at The Art Academy with Tim Benson portrait class, and a all day Ashford life class.So quite a variety of work which i am looking forward to. With great artist and friends.

The life modelling scene in East Kent looks quite diverse and interesting. Up here in the North West, I've also been signed up for nude modelling for medical students doing anatomy courses at three teaching hospitals, one in Leeds and two in Manchester. This starts in February. The professors running the courses really appreciate my efforts- the pay isn't bad either, working out at an average of £80 per day.

Great Kenneth well done you,
I was thinking do you ever get nervous for a gig ?
I Sometimes do if it is for schools or new students, other than that i am fine !

I think it is only natural to be a bit apprehensive if one is going to be modelling naked before people you don't know, particularly in the case of one-to-one gigs in a private house or studio, say. I do get nervous if I am getting ready to model for religious themes - which can be gruesome - for artists such as those in the Society of Catholic Artists.

I also get nervous sometimes before an ordinary session for an adult art group if it's the first time with them, but normally I am put at my ease by a warm welcome. As far as schools are concerned, I've experienced a couple of cases in London where the tutor has been a bit lax, but by and large I've not had any problem.

I agree schools can be quite lax but other than that they are okay !
Is there anything you hate about life modelling, or are annoyed at ?
I cannot think of anything at the mo.

Not really something I would say I hated, but more an "inconvenience", is that not all places where I model have proper changing facilities, so sometimes I have to disrobe in cubicles in the gent's toilet. Otherwise, I love the whole experience of life modelling and appreciate that not everything can be perfect.

I agree sometimes changing places are a bit awkward, but you make the most of where you are,
as you say you put up with it, because you like modelling, it is a challenge and adventure.

How do you feel when you get recommended to model somewhere different, I always feel flattered and amazed that they think i am a good model.

Sharon, I feel the same - highly flattered. In fact, somebody - don't know who - recently recommended me to the life drawing class at the Bury Art Museum - a very prestigious place - and my first gig there is booked for this coming Monday morning!

Hello All,
Thanks for your kind comments, it is highly flattery when someone recommends you to model for them, I have been filling in for a model recently started last Friday, and continuing for the next 3 Fridays. What a compliment.
I was thinking of Alan Reynolds and his wife, I have been thinking of them and hoping everything is okay.
Just sending my thoughts to them.

Has anyone got any other comments on life modelling please ?
I think we are lucky to have venues we can go back too thank you you lovely artist.

Hello all again, Please Ken could you send your Winter newsletter to Alan thank you,Wishing Alan Reynolds and his Missus congratulations on their wedding this coming Saturday, and wishing Alan's Missus to get well, and thanks for putting my Winter Newsletter up Al. Sending Love Sharon x

Hello Sharon. Alan has kindly posted my Winter newsletter, now available for all to see.

I enjoyed reading your SE Newsletter, and was particularly interested to see that you've worked with Dunstan Pereira. I had the pleasure of doing nude modelling for him in his flat some years ago when I lived in London SE1 - I thought he was a lovely and highly talented artist, and a very stimulating person to talk to. When you next see him, please give him my fond regards!

Dear Kenneth,
I do not see Dunstan Perera anymore, but it was always great working with him, I am glad Alan has posted up your Winter Newsletter, I am glad you liked mine, I like your long essays of your life modelling work, very fascinating thank you.

Hi Sharon. I did get a bit nostalgic when you mentioned working at the Art Academy. I did a lot of nude modelling for them when I lived in London. I recall the premises they used when they first started - a former light industrial premises close to Waterloo Station. Dusty and very atmospheric, but with first class tutors and artists. And the next one, a similar old building near Blackfriars before ending up where they are now. Happy days!!

As regards my Newsletters and Essays, , I'm quite delighted by their popularity. I'll soon be thinking about topics for the Spring 2019 contribution - this would be intended for appearance after Easter, so I'll probably include a report on my journey to Andalucia to participate in a Passion Play/crucifixion re-enactment on Good Friday. Readers have also expressed interest in knowing more about the Horror film I've mentioned, "Deathscream2", so I'll say something about this as well.

Dear Kenneth and all,
I do have 3 more bookings at The Art Academy off Borough High Street, London Bridge, I will be doing portrait with Tim Benson on the 19/26th of March, and another one on April 16th with Tim Benson again.
I had an opportunity for a casting on Tuesday 12th of March, but it was too short of notice, i just could not do it, and the filming was on the 19th/21st of March whereupon i am already booked, I was too shocked to do it for advert for Tena, With Ceri the director who directed The Favourite with Olivia Coleman.
I know i blew it what else was i suppose to do ?

Hi Sharon

Don't worry about it - these things happen in the modelling world. And know that you are a successful and respected model.

All the best

Kenneth

Dear Kenneth,
Thank you for saying that it made me feel better, you are a very successful life model and respected too.
These things certainly does happen to us models.
Thanks Again Kenneth.
Sharon

Talking about schools i worked at a grammer School in Faversham as they do a life drawing course during school time, and the teacher lovely Rachael took the class, and the pupils were good as gold, they did not talk while i posed they got on with it, & Rachael said it was me who made the pupils perform like that, It was amazing !

I've done some life modelling for a couple of colleges in the Merseyside area this term, and I've been really impressed by the sheer skill of the drawings of me, showing a talent in many cases far beyond their years. In fact, I feel quite gratified that my body has been the catalyst for enabling the pupils to develop their artistic abilities.

On the same theme, the art master at a college in Birkenhead, who is a member of the Society of Catholic Artists, intends to use me for a life drawing project based on the crucifixion of Jesus - something relevant to the time of year. Another exciting adventure to look forward to!

Sounds good to me Ken, you never know what is coming up next, that is why our job is so exciting.
I am quiet at the moment, but have bookings coming up, What a relieve.

Bookings are now coming in amazingly enough from April to July. It is always exciting when groups book you again thank you to them. There are so many people who want to be life models out there, they should just do it once at least.

Excellent, Sharon. As you said before, life modelling is full of adventure. In my last essay in my homepage, which described my participation in the crucifixions which happen in the Philippines every Easter, I said that I would be travelling to a place called Alhaurin el Grande in Spain for the same purpose this year. Well, that's next week! This means that this time next Friday, I shall be tied to a crucifix, naked and terrified, thinking "what have I let myself in for?". Bill Garland will be a witness to the re-enactment, and plans to draw and paint the scene. he might use these as the basis for an exhibition.

Beyond that, I've also got an encouraging number of gigs coming up in the summer term, which I'll mention in more detail next time.

Hello Kenneth,
Do not forget to do your Spring Newsletter for Alan Reynolds, i have done mine, recently been at The Art Academy London for portrait with Tim Benson that was yesterday 16th of April, again at Deal life Drawing at the Astor Theatre, it is all very exciting stuff. Happy Easter everyone.

How many of you are on RAM Registry for Artist Models ? I have been a member, but now i am giving up as it 30 odd pound a year, i did get a couple of jobs on it, but usually people/artist find me on here, which is amazing !Thank you for reading this.

Hi Sharon

I was one of the earliest members of RAM when I lived in London (member no.69!); I stopped being a member after moving up north because I felt the amount of work I got did not justify the increasing membership fee. Nonetheless, I still think RAM is a fabulous organisation in what it does for the life modelling community. But my loyalties now lie with ANUK!!

Dear Kenneth,
What a wonderful reply, I am with RAM up until end of May.
I see where you are coming from, my fondness is with Art Nude UK too.
As you said, i think RAM has encouraged a lot of life models into it, and we here are doing just as well,
so let us carry on with the good work with Alan Reynolds, long live Art Nude UK !

Spot on - I think our membership fees are a superb bargain.

My Spring newsletter is done, and will be sent to Alan within the hour.

Best wishes

Kenneth

1 2 3 4