<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trees that have not been cared for

I have recently moved onto a 60 acre farm. It has many trees that haven't been taken care of. I have pear trees that have a mint green dry flaky moss kind of stuff on the bark.I am not sure if this is ok or not. The pears mature early and they all mature at different times and the produce very little. There are apple trees that last year were laden with fruit and this year notta and another that didn't do much last year but are heavy this year.All of these trees are at least 8 years old. I am not sure how to prune or care for them. can you help me? Also, I have bought some blueberry bushes and am not sure when to plant them or when and how to prune them. I do appreciate any help you can offer. There are so many plants, lake, wildlife, trees, and fruit here I am at a total loss. Thank you so much.

Re: Trees that have not been cared for

Oh I can also send photos of the stuff growing or the way the trees have grown.

Re: Trees that have not been cared for

That's a lot of questions in one post! Here are some ideas.
First the pear tress. Thin out the fruit each year so that they are about 10cm apart. This will produce fewer but better fruit. It will also avoid damage to the branches.

I would ignore the green flaky stuff, it sounds like lichen. If it is though, it's an indication that conditions are too damp, so think about how that can be improved.

As for the apple trees, many varieties produce lots of fruitone year and then very little the next. The general rule for pruning apple trees is to allow about four main branches and prune to a wine goblet shape. Leave the centre relativley free of branches to allow air circulation.

Good luck

<>