<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: just joined and started my own allotment

First of all, don't bother growing anything until you have completely cleared your allotment. I would like to say that I'm an expert on clearing allotments. Is it ordinary weeds or skyscraper high brambles? If normal weeds, I put on weed-killer and then got lots of membrane/carpet/plastic to cover the half of the allotment (we got our full plot in two half stages - one half was covered in brambles and the other in normal weeds (scrouch grass and bind weed). We left it for a couple of months, then started raking the top of the soil to get rid of the dead stuff, then digging and taking out the roots (with a fork) - it takes time (I'm coming to the end of mine and I started it last April) but worth it. Lets just say there's no easy way of doing it. If you have brambles,systematically chop all the top part, burn it if you can, then using a spade, dig around each root. Again, it takes time, but worth it. Just bear in mind that if you leave a bit of the root, it will grow. Its just a matter of pulling them up through the summer - eventually, they'll stop. As soon as you've completed this mammoth task - you're off. Good luck. I'm on my third year and I still love it.

Re: Re: just joined and started my own allotment

Another thing is. Don't bother buying a new greenhouse (you will need one of these). There are plenty of second-hand ones about, a lot cheaper or even free. Try to get your hands on one of these - you will get plenty of help to erect it from your new friends. It will save hundreds of pounds on a new greenhouse. By the way, the reason it took so long to prepare my second part of the allotment was because 1) I was looking after and planting in my older part and 2) the weather was crap, and its difficult to dig in wet conditions.

Re: Re: Re: just joined and started my own allotment

thanks for getting back to me..............and thanks for the advice.......its much needed

take care and hope to speak soon

Re: just joined and started my own allotment

don't know if you are thinking of getting hens? if you do make sure you keep a healthy supply of dandelions - also sow thistle if you can keep it going - for them in the winter. I am very keen on weeding and very little survives my attention. Got the hens this summer and now have no greens for them!

No, I won't be having any livestock. I have enough with my hubbyLOL. I can imagine what will happen to them when they stop laying - I would be overrun with chickens.

just added you to msn

Re: Re: Re: just joined and started my own allotment

One thing which may be of use when you have done some of the clearing and preparing to grow crops. Plant poatatoes as a first crop, breaks the soil up and leaves it in good condition.
Apologies if you already know this

<>