<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pruning Asparagus

I have grown asparagus from seed this year and they are doing really well. I have read that when they turn yellow brown i need to cut the spears and leaves down to about 1 to 2 inches from ground level. other people have told me to leave them without cutting them. the plants will be ready to go into the ground next year and i dont want to take the chance of ruining them prior to this. does anyone know whether to prune or not prune

Re: Pruning Asparagus

I would give the crowns every chance they have of absorbing energy from the sun. So I wouldn't trim them yet. But by mid September the foliage will be as dead as a door nail so I would trim it to about 5cm /2in above ground level.

Certainly when you buy a one year old crown it has no foliage.

Well done for growing them from seed.

Re: Re: Pruning Asparagus

do you need to cut the spears also. i am aware that spears of 3 years old and above need to be cut below gound level, but when they are grown from seed and in their first year i have read that the spears need to be cut to 2 inches above ground level while other people have told me not to cut them

Re: Re: Pruning Asparagus

do you need to cut the spears also. i am aware that spears of 3 years old and above need to be cut below gound level, but when they are grown from seed and in their first year i have read that the spears need to be cut to 2 inches above ground level while other people have told me not to cut them

Re: Pruning Asparagus

Hi Eddie,

No, don't cut anything that is growing in the first two years. The spears will develop foliage in a month or so.

Dave

<>