<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
a question abut transplanting rhubarb

Hi, my name is Paul and I've got a question and a concern...

Thank you for this website-found you on Google.

I dug up a rhubarb to put into another spot in the yard. I did not know how big the root system would be since I have never dug one up-evidentally it must be rather large; because when I dug it up there was things that looked like carrots-apparantly they were the main roots, and needless to say, I got a bit alarmed, but they were a lot softer. (Funny how some roots look!)-Anyways, I am afraid I cut the main roots in half and I have killed the plant. It has been over 24 hours and the plant looks really wilted still; but this morning it looked like it was perking up a bit...so I know it is trying to to come back (I hope it does-since it really hurts me when something I try to take care of has a possibility of not making it...{don't like the word "die"}.
So do you think it will survive-or did I do a bad thing?
My girlfriend says it will be just fine, since she has dealt with this type of plant before-but not knowing-I have my doubts.....
Any info would be appreciated...

Re: a question abut transplanting rhubarb

I hope it does revive (I am of the same vein, I don't like the word "die" - whenever I grow anything from seed, I will give any excess away rather than throw them out). Anyway, I hope the rhubard does make it. To transplant rhubarb you need to do it in winter when its all died back. At the moment, its the growing season. Just wait and see what happens. Good luck

Re: Re: a question abut transplanting rhubarb

Thanks-will let you know how it goes
Paul

Re: Re: a question abut transplanting rhubarb

OK, I forgot to add this awhile ago...in Alaska, it gets to -40 to -50 below zero; so do I want to replant it at the beginning of winter when it is only starting to die off, or right when it starts to warm up (in April or May)?

Paul

<>