<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gooseberries - Manchester area

Hi Babstreefern,

I have a couple of goosberry bushes and was pondering your question today. The ones I have start to turn reddish when ripe so no problem. But around early to mid July in the Manchester area.

Harvest the lower, inner gooseberries first, they will not improve much more. Then work your way up and outwards around the bush for the next couple of weeks.

Dave

Re: Re: Gooseberries - Manchester area

Fantastic, you're a star. Will start plucking this evening, after work, and make my first gooseberry pie - can't wait, mmmmmm

Re: Gooseberries - Manchester area

Babstreefern,

I wrote early to mid JULY not JUNE!! Now is probably a bit too early to harvest, hold your horses for a couple of weeks more. In Warwick my gooseberries are not ripe yet.

Re: Re: Gooseberries - Manchester area

I would assume that at this moment, they are ok for pie-making (I know they are sour, but you add sugar) I always remember my mum buying gooseberries when I was little, and they were always green. Then later on, say July/August, they are ok for eating sraight off the bush

Re: Re: Re: Gooseberries - Manchester area

Hi chaps,
I am not that much far south of you, Birmingham in fact and I have a couple of Gosseberry plants to put in my allotment this year. They are in pots at the moment but what should I do to a clay soil to make it habitable for the gooseberries. Any advice for a newcomer and new gardener please.

<>