<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
manure?

I have just been allowed by a farmer to take some cow manure.This I did and put some around my raspberries as a mulch.Now my problem is that I was told by two people that putting fresh manure on your garden will result in sterile soil due to the metals in the manure and it will do more harm than good.I need clarification on this topic before I go and put some in my bean and celery trench and totaly ruin the crop before it starts.
thanks keith

Re: manure?

Correct I'm afraid. You should never put fresh manure down. It should always be left to stand and "weather" for at least six months - the longer the better.

Should I take it off my raspberries or is it o.k as a mulch above ground.

Re: Re: manure?

I would collect it up and compost it with straw, cardboard and paper or green waste. It should then be ready about June/July for mulching your crops. I don't know about metals, but the fresh manure is too fierce for most plants, even weeds don't like it.TH9M

The manure has a lot of straw mixed in at the moment so will it still be to strong?.I am new to all this and thought I was doing great with the manure and the ash of my fire!!.Good job my old grandad is dead,he was obviously talking **** as well as spreading it on his garden LOL.But he seemed to grow alot of veg and with no problems,but I cant ask him how!!

Re: Re: manure?

Fresh manure will "burn" any plants - just scrape it off and let it weather and compost down. Doesn't matter how much straw is already in it.

If the manure comes with straw then it's even worse. It probably has cow urine in it and that definitely needs to stand for a couple of months.

<>