<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pinching out

Hi

i am growingf a number of bedding plants from seed and they are doing well in my small greenhouse, but a problem i have is "Pinching Out". Can anyoyne please advise when they should be pinched and what types of plants it should be done to. i have endeavoured to find this on variuos sites but so far without success.

look forward to hearing as my plants are doing well and it looks like they will not wait for me

REgards
Paul

Re: Pinching out

Typically you would remove the very top part of a shoot by pinching it with the end of your thumb and a finger. Try to make the cut as clean as possible rather than squash it off. You can cut the growing tips off with a pair of secateurs if you can't get the hang of it with your fingers.

I hope that it what you mean by pinching out. Now, the why! Well, take a fuchsia for example. If you buy one and just let it grow without pinching out, you will end up with a tall, leggy plant that is not bushy. But if you pinch out the growing tips regularly this will encourage more side shoots to grow and you will end up with a more bushy atrractive plant. If you want advice on specific plants, let me know which you are growing and i will let you know more.

Good luck.

Dave

Re: Re: Pinching out

Dave

Thanks for getting back t me! The information supplied was very useful. The other problem i have is which plant should i pinch out. Currently i am growing the following:

Verbascum, Zinnia, Antirhinum, Taggetts, Stock, Mimulus, Tomato, Evening Primrose, Delphinium. So far, i do get carried away with planting seeds.
i look forward to help.
Regards
Paul

Re: Pinching out

At a rough glance only the tomatoes may need pinching out, it depends on the type. See this link for more information:
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_july_1b_tomato.asp

Good luck

<>