<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: leggy seedlings

Low light levels are the key factor in leggy seedlings. Too high a nitrogen feed can lead to too much green growth but not really to leggy seedlings. So, given your remarks about the greenhouse then that leaves the cover as you mention. I would definitely take it off as soon as the first few seedlings emerge.

The cover thing has always confused me though, why is it neccessary? I have never used one and it seems to have no adverse affect. Exactly what is it meant to achieve? I have never found a good answer. It can actually have an adverse affect by trapping in moisture and encouraging damping off.

I'll go one further than that, I have worked for the largest plug plant producer in the UK and they don't cover their seed trays. Maybe it's something that is applicable to only a few plants. Possibly they need total dark to germinate. Or maybe it's just an old wives tale. Any views on this?

Re: Re: leggy seedlings

Dave
I now have more questions than answers?HA HA.
I will do some tests on the next batch of seeds to see if they grow better covered or uncovered.I have also thought the same as you on the cover issue,it seems to give the seedlings more chance of dampening off but being a novice I kept to the advice on the various seed packets.
Can you over water the seeds?.I keep mine in a tray of water that keeps the compost damp at all times is this a good or bad way of watering.
Thanks for your time
Keith

Re: leggy seedlings

Hi Keith,

I'd be very interested to hear the results of your tests, I hope you let us know.

Yes you can over water seedlings, if they are soaked in too much water the roots will not function correctly after a period of time. I would think that standing the pots / trays in water all the time would not be best for them. Let the compost start to dry out (but not completely) then water.

Good luck.

Dave

<>