<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
chitting

Due to the frost we had over the last couple of weeks,i was late getting my first/second earlies in.
My main crop spuds have got chits on them about 4 or 5 inches long,are these to long,can these be trimmed before planting or do i just plant them as they are and mound up the soil to cover them as normal.

Re: chitting

Hi Gary,

A good question. You can actually do either and the potato will produce a potato plant and a crop of potatoes. The real purpose of chitting potatoes is to make them produce a crop as quickly as possible. The little sprouts that appear when potatoes are chitted should be around 1 to 1.5cm long when planted. If they are shorter they will not produce the earliest crop. If they are much longer the sprouts will probably get knocked off when you plant the potato seed. I would think that 4 or 5 inches is too long unless you take a lot of care when planting the potatoes. I cerainly have never trimmed them, I would just rub thenm off and wait for more to appear.

The link below goes to a page that describes all this in more detail. And if you click on the third picture down you will get a large picture of a chitted potato that is about the ideal size for planting.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_november_1a_potato.asp

Good luck.

Dave

<>