<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
container grown carrots

Hi, I'm trying to grow carrots this year and want to grow them in containers(eg on the patio) as the rest of the garden is given solely to plants and flowers, and does not lend itself to digging, any advice on types of compost etc would be greatly appreciated.

Re: container grown carrots

I always use containers for carrots (if you get the high ones, you will not get carrot fly, as they can't fly any higher than 18").

Anyway, I just use the basic multi-purpose compost.

Re: Re: container grown carrots

thanks for that, I'm thinking now maybe even in my hanging baskets-now tha'll be different!!!

I grew some as an experiment last year in individual tubes that I made. I bought a very long roll of 12" wideplastic damp course material for about 10 quid.

I then cut strips off it that were 8" wide, so that when rolled up they made 12" long circular tubes about 2 inches in diameter with about an inch overlap.
At first I used a glue gun to hold the tube in shape but then found it was easier and quicker to use a normal office stapler and put staples in the overlap.

I stood the tubes up in one of the folding crates that are available at lots of places. I think I got about 80 in the crate.

I then filled the tubes to about 2" from the top with normal compost and sowed about 3 or 4 seeds per tube. I later thinned out all but the strongest seedling. I placed the crate on a small set of shelving I have outdoors, abd yes it needed more watering than usual but the result was an excellent crop of nicely shaped carrots, slug and carrot fly free ! Since I am disabled it meant I could tend to them without having to get down to ground level.

Of course the tubes are reusable and I will be doing the same this year, but will try using some capillary matting to aid the watering regime :)

Incidentally the plastic damp proofing membrane comes in several widths and I have used it for various different things in the garden. It is pretty cheap to buy and it is excellent for making things like ring culture pots for tomato plants.

The 2 foot size makes great protection of the base of fruit bushes etc in case my dog cocks his leg on them when I am not watching!

Another useful device has been long tubes that are a tight fit around plantpots,at the bottom there is a bit of thin foam glued inside it. I hang it up and it makes a great pot dispenser like you see for plastic cups on drinks machines :)

Wes

Re: Re: Re: container grown carrots

thank's Wes, very interesting info there.

Re: container grown carrots

Wes

That's a fantastic system for growing carrots. Disabled or just plain lazy it sounds great!

Can I use your post on the GardenAction site?

Dave

Certainly you can use it I think the sharing of ideas is one of the best things for sites like this !

I am always coming up with ideas using things like that. Another one if your interested is the use of small bins from places like poundstretcher.. I think they are 30 litre .. but they are ideal for growing new potatoes in. and at just a few quid each a lot cheaper than the potato barrels as well.

I have also been growing lots of toms indoors and outdoors in a ring culture variation. I mentioned in the carrot article about using the damp course material for ring culture pots that last for ever. I have been using them by standing them on a layer of gravel in a £1 washing up bowl. I drill a few small holes in the sides about 1" up from the base so if there is heavy rain they dont get flooded. The gravel has the advantage of keeping the slimy things at bay as well ! I have run a trickle watering system to them as well so that I just turn the tap on and they are all watered, but not too much because of the holes

I just like playing LOL, although the people in Poundstretcher think I have a plastic and tupperware fetish lol

I am also looking at using some of the damproof material as a temporary raised bed.. will let you know how it goes on :)

Wes

Re: Re: Re: container grown carrots

Those buckets from poundstretcher, yeah what good value, I bought those for my dwarf cucumbers last year, only when we were flooded I lost my plants, so I'm trying again this year.

<>