<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bark

A few years ago we ( because of both being at work) decided to exchange the lawn for an area of bark, so we made the garden into a kind of woodland feel, with plants dotted about here and there. We love to see birds in our garden, and i hope that the added insects will help, along with better hiding places for frogs etc. I know its not the conventional garden, but do you think we did the right thing.

Re: bark

Doesn't matter what we think. The question is, do you like it? Obviously you do, and thats all that matters. I think it sounds brilliant. However, you may need to keep the bark topped up, as it will eventually break up and you will end up with a very rich soil. I bet its lovely at this time of year - snowdrops, and then bluebells, primroses, etc.

Re: bark

As said in the previous post, if it suits you it's great. I have an area of my allotment covered in bark. Of this I am sure, top fruit love it! Raspberries, gooseberries, cuurants and the like appreciate the lack of weed competition and the moist soil.

This year I am going to plant asparagus and cover the area in bark. I reckon it will work a treat.

Good luck and look for ways that alayer of bark cant benefit a huge pile of plants.

<>