<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lime Sulfur spray on Apricot trees

I bought some Lime Sulfur spray as a dormant oil for my plum tree because it gets leaf curl. I heard it's also okay to also use on my apple trees, but not the apricot trees.

I did some web searches, and found lots on contradictory information. Some say it's okay to use on apricots. Others say it's not okay. One said it's okay as long as the lime sulfur spray does not contain copper. One said only to use copper, because sulfur is bad.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Dan

Re: Lime Sulfur spray on Apricot trees

I've never heard of lime sulfur so I can't recommend it. But you don't say why you want to spray this on your trees. Any idea why?

Re: Re: Lime Sulfur spray on Apricot trees

My trees, especially the plum, get leaf curl. I heard I should spray dormant oil on them just before budding starts. It's supposed to kill aphids, too. I checked the local nursery, and they said that Lime Sulfur spray was the right "dormant oil" -- just don't use it on the apricots. So I checked online for confirmation.

What's your recommendation to stop leaf curl?

Thanks
Dan

Re: Re: Re: Lime Sulfur spray on Apricot trees

Spray with a systemic insecticide just before
flowering (white bud stage) - around early April in the UK but may be earlier due to climate changes.

Re: Lime Sulfur spray on Apricot trees

Hi,

I had an ask round and there is no real agreement on how to spray against peach leaf curl. The best, reasonably authorative article is given below:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/main.jhtml?xml=/gardening/2007/06/22/gyemm22.xml

Peach leaf curl is a fungal disease so I doubt spraying with an insecticide will work. I have found no o0bjections to spraying with bordeaux mix which is a fungicide.
What is strange is that some reputable companies offer quite expensive plastic and polythene barriers to prevent rain falling on the tree from January to May. This would indicate that there may not be a spray that works.

Another USA based article is given below. This where they grow peach trees in a huge way so they should know what they are talking about!
http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/factsheets/leaf_curl_sheet.htm

<>