<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
when and how

Hello, My husband bought me two fruit trees both duel. One plum and one apple, unfortunately he threw away the instructions cards that came with them, so I have no idea how to look after them, or how to prune. I have had them for three years and although I have had limitd success with the aple, the plum only produced one plum last year. I have seen on this web site to only prune plums in june,but it starts with year one. what do I do now its year three and nothing has been done. I have tried to get someone in to do it but without success.

Re: when and how

Hi Elaine,

The article does more than explain the first year pruning, it explains later years. See this page http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_march_2d_plum.asp#plum_prune.

Prune any plum tree, whatever it's age, when it is growing strongly. June is a good time. the reason is that if you prune the plum tree when it is dormant (typically Novemebr to March) it will be very susceptible to silver leaf disease. Let me know if you need more information.
Dave

Re: when and how

hi Dave, thanks for that, I am now going to visit the web site you recomended.

<>