<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tomatoes

My tomatoes are flourishing in the greenhouse and after producing lots of flowers are now covered in hard green tomatoes in various stages of growth. But, as this is the first time I've grown tomatoes, my only concern is...how long before they start going red. Has this grim wet summer delayed ripening through lack of sun? Please alay my fears or it'll be green tomato chutney all winter!

Re: Tomatoes

I've got the same problem - all green toms - I've been told and have read it in a book, to through a banana or two (speckled and squidgy) into the greenhouse, and the gas they produce, forces the toms to turn red and ripen - I'll try this - see if it works for you

Re: Re: Tomatoes

the banana peels would expel ethelyne (sp) gas, and this would speed ripening.
It all depends on the variety.
We raise only heirloom tomatoes and they are slow to ripen, but once they start, it's a real busy time, we have 69 plants.
patience...besides, nothing wrong with chutney

Thank you both....Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll try the bannana trick and I guess I might get the same result from a couple of shop bought red toms. Maybe they'll go red with embarrassment!

I'm back guys, and yes, it does work. I put three bananas (speckled and squidgy) in my greenhouse two days ago, and they've started to redden off

Oh dear...hung a ripe bannana amongst my toms last weekend and nothing to report so far. But your success gives me hope so maybe I'll add a few more....How long can a tomato stay green until you have to admit that it will never go red??

it all depends on variety, and climate.
as long as your plants are healthy, they will ripen.

The cherry ones have begun to ripen, the larger varieties are still green......Thanks Phil, you give me hope!

You are very welcome Jane, sometimes hope is all it takes, please, update us on the rest of your harvest!

Glad to report the tommies have continued to go red. I've harvested enough in one go to enjoy with salads and make soup! Happy to say there are still plenty more to ripen so looks like it'll be tommie salad, soup & salsas into October. I'll be growing them in the greenhouse again next year but will probably start them earlier and throw in the over ripe bannanas again....thanks for the advice.

<>