<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: bugs eating my beans

Pill bugs, or rollie pollies, did this to my beans last year, and I despaired for the same reasons -- no synthetic pesticides in my garden, please! The bugs are most active at night or early morning and munch away at tender new growth. The organic gardening store here has started carrying Sluggo Plus, a product with .97% Iron Phosphate pellets and a dash of spinosyn. Sprinkle the pellets aound the base of the plants. Pill bugs eat them instead and disappear. Previously I tried luring them away with old melon rinds. Looked to me like I was just creating the perfect pill bug habitat and all their friends came to visit, so that didn't work.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have recently planted snap beans and already it looks like someone took a hole puncher to them overnight. Any idea what these are and if there are organic ways to get rid of them? I have two little children so no poison or chemicals are allowed on my veggies. Any thoughts out there?

Re: bugs eating my beans

Try putting cut off plastic bottles over them until they have grown a few inches and have chance to strenthen

<>