<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Completely new gardener starting

I've recently tidied up the back of my garden, which was used basically as a tip. It was completely over grown with nettles .It is 6m by 9m and is also fairly chalky. I would like to grow some veg in there. What vegtables would grow well in chalky/alkaline soil. Also, which vegtables are good for novices?

Re: Completely new gardener starting

My advice is to add in a bit of organic matter and grow whatever takes your fancy

Most things will grow appart from blueberries.
It also helps to get any fruit trees/bushes, asparagus or rhubarb in early.

I'm not very experienced but have been successful with runner beans which, mixed with sweet peas, look great as they are growing. You can always buy or make raised beds and fill them with a more nutricous soil if you have trouble with your natural soil.

.....sorry, nutritious! Lettuce and tomatoes also grow quite easily, although you'll need to make sure the toms get lots of feed,water & sunshine and be wary of slugs enjoying the lettuce. Start the toms off indoors & protect early lettuce with cut off plastic bottles. I'm experimenting this year with potatoes in deep buckets from Suttons which wouldn't take up much space in your garden. As you can tell I'm an enthusiastic novice!

<>