<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Japanese Maple HELP!!!!!!

I have 2 Japanese Maple trees planted in my yard. The trees are about 20' apart and are very different in growth. I planted one of the trees 12 years ago and the 2nd was planted 3 years ago. The newest tree has outgrown the older tree already and it always blooms sooner than the older tree. The conditions seem to be the same in both locations but the older tree seems to always look like it is dying. Is there anything that can be done to help this tree along?

Re: Japanese Maple HELP!!!!!!

Hi, difficult question because you say the conditions are the same. Just one idea, japanes maples are "picky" trees, maybe the one that is not growing so well has large trees near it which are sapping the nutrients from the soil and obercrowding its root system? Also, do both trees receive the same amount of light?

Re: Re: Japanese Maple HELP!!!!!!

Also - consider if the location is too windy - my j.maple sropped all it's leaves and looked miserable as the wind was whipped across it from the fence. I moved and watered and within a few weeks it managed to recover and re-sprout !

Good luck

Maybe the sunlight is the problem. The tree that is doing well is shaded from the morning sun but the other is in the sunlight all day. Maybe I will relocate the tree to allow for a little shade. Thanks.

Re: Japanese Maple HELP!!!!!!

Yes, Japanese maples don't like the afternoon sun. if you reloacte the tree be sure to wait until it is fully dormant. January or Frebruary

I would recommend planting your maples under a shade type tree to potect it from the direct Sun after approximately 1 p.m. A company specializing in heat tolerant Japanese maple trees is http://www.pacificcoastmaples.com The website has a FAQ's section on their toolbar to assist you.

<>