<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help for a new gardener

Hello, I hope somebody out there may be able to help me. I have a south facing, clay soil garden that measures 35x75ft. I would like to plant a number of trees about 12-15ft tall. A couple at the far end of the garden to create a woodland area, and 2 or 3 nearer the house that are scented and more ornamental. I want to attract bees, butterflys, birds, and other wildlife, so if you have any other tips I would be very grateful.

Re: help for a new gardener

I'm not a particularly experienced gardener but I've always found buddleia bushes to be easy to grow in any soil. They look lovely and certainly attract butterfly....buddleia is known as 'the butterfly bush'. Enjoy your garden.

Re: help for a new gardener

Buddleia is a great idea... I would chop it down each year so that it doesn't get too massive. Lavatera is also a favourite. I could also not go without fruit trees as they seem to attract wildlife really well. I am not a big fan of crab apples, so would go for the real thing. Also, a peach/apricot/plum will flower early and help bees to get started.

<>