<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Honeysuckle

I've always found that honeysuckle is no problem, growing lush and green, covered in flowers with very little attention. But my current plant, which has been in for about three years, has started to show signs of blackened,curled leaf tips and a sticky white substance on some new growth. You have to look very closely at the moment, so it's early days....will any insecticide do the trick or should I be tackling it in some other way? Also, as I'm about to plant some new clematis, is it likely to spread to them? Great website by the way, only discovered it today.

Re: Honeysuckle

I think it's a bug called the cuckoo spit insect (Philaenus spumarius). As it draws sap from your plant, the leaves respond by shrivelling. I would spray with an insecticide or sometimes soapy water or a garden hose will do. It may be worth taking a sample of the leaf back to the garden centre so that they can verify whether there are any other problems causing the curling. I once had a form of leaf curl disease that did much the same and the bush never fruited.
If it is the insect, I doubt it will spread because clemantis are quite toxic to indigenous insects.

Re: Honeysuckle

Thanks Simon, appreciate your reply and thanks for putting my mind at rest as regards the clematis.

<>