<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Copper Beech

The post Re. Japanese Maple prompts me to offer my experience regarding the Copper Beech. In the late 1950's I worked for the Forestry Commission on a 24 acre nursery unit. We grew from seed all types of conifers and hardwoods, among them Beech. When the young trees grew in the summer there were many Copper Beech among them. We had to tie black cotton around the trunk of these so that when lifted as yearlings they could then be sold to the nursery trade. I asked the forester about the "coppers" and was told that it was a disease(?) which did not affect the tree apart from colour of the leaves. Seed from these trees do not show any more percentage of coppers than from green beech. Whether it would be possible to graft or take cuttings from coppers I don't know, but it would be an interesting experiment.

Re: Copper Beech

Interesting item Rowell. Maybe a bit similar to fuchsias which have three leaves per node rather than the normal two. These three leaved fuchsias are prized for growing standards because they produce a much bushier head. I have experimented with taking cuttings from these fuchsias and they revert to two leaves per node. Annoying! But if the beeches are copper because of a disease, rather than a genetic accident, I suspect that the disease would be passed on via cuttings.

<>