<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Steel Sheds (erection)

Hi all.

Just to let you know that the Yardmaster shed (website quoted 15 working days delivery, invoice 21 working days) delivery is now quoting 26 working days (into the sixth week). If I had built my own shed it would have cost a bit more (probably around 25%) but would have been in use by now.

Re: Steel Sheds (erection)

That's not too good, especially because they have your money. Hope it's sorted out soon.

Still waiting for the shed. The carriers were supposed to phone today to confirm delivery tomorrow, no phone call. That's two delivery dates failed, I am not happy with Kybotech or Garden Buildings Direct. I shall certainly not deal with them again. If I don't get a call first thing tomorrow morning I shall phone Kybotech and cancel the order. If they then try to deliver it I won't sign for it and they can take it back.

Hurray! when I phoned them this morning they said it would be delivered "late morning" (it was in fact 1.30pm). I started to assemble it and found that many of the holes were not properly punched out (their machine tools must be getting in a bad way) and I had to go round them with a hammer and a philips screwdriver to knock the bits out of the holes. There are thousands of self tapping screws to put in. I did have a couple that stripped the hole out and I put pop-rivets in instead. You mustn't over tighten.

Re: Re: Re: Steel Sheds (erection)

Well, I've put the roof together, bit of a struggle at times as it was job to get the holes lined up but got there in the end. The walls are erected and ready for the roof to go on. My son-in-law is coming to see the situation tomorrow (he's in the building trade as I was) and probably get my grandson and a friend to help lift it on. We've got to manhandle it from the yard to the shed site then raise it to over 6ft high, so I think we shall need four of us. As I am 77, we shall need some youngsters to do the heaving. Should be Saturday if the storms will let us.

My son-in-law arrived this afternoon after a long delayed journey on the M11. He took one look at the roof, suggested we try the weight which was OK. Then said "lets do it". We carried it to the shed site, set up a couple of scaffold boards on concrete blocks, lifted it into place. We then removed the two wood supports and lowered into the wall sections. Job done in about 20mins and only us two. I've since screwed the roof into place.

I have since built a shelf rack (2.4m x 0.3m x 1.5m high) in treated wood, cost £70. It has five shelves plus the floor space.

I was thinking next about lighting and the problem over the new regulations, which have made it illegal for anyone who has not passed the latest exams. to install circuits. First step was to get out my old Coleman petrol lantern and check it over, new mantles and it was OK. I then wanted a light which I could switch on when I opened the door.

At a local garden centre I found the Guardman Solar Shed light (£15) which has a small solar panel to go on the roof, a lead which plugs into the 1watt fluorescent lamp with cordpull switch. It is just bright enough to see where you are going without falling over things, so if I am doing any work in the shed it has to be the Coleman lantern.

I can foresee that with further developement houses may well go to 12volt or 24volt DC systems for all the low power requirements (once installed it is free and avoids the regulations). Initially it would be expensive but will run computers, tv's, radios and lighting. The mains would supply high power requirements like cookers, washing machines etc., plus topping up the 12v battery system if needed.

The alternative is that people will use trailing leads all over the place (something which we have discouraged for the last 50 years).

<>