<>

GardenAction Forum

Welcome to the GardenAction forum. Feel free to post a message.

GardenAction Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
growing garlic

I planted garlic corms last year and now I find clumps of the that look like spring onions. They are in bunches with lots of entwined long thin roots, and very small bulbs, not corms at all. Can I separate these and replant? If so, how deep should the small bulb be in the soil? And when will they be ready to harvest?

Re: growing garlic

Hi Ray, Not sure where you are living, but garlic should be planted in November in milder parts of the country and Febuary/March for very cold areas. I find(giving away all of my secrets) that the best garlic to plant is a large variety about 3" across. You can buy these at an Italian/Greek deli. Break them up leaving the skins on and plant then in little furrows about 6" deep- like potatoes. By April they'll be about 18" tall and you can fill in the furrows. They should be okay to pull by end of July. Don't replant this for next year as it doesn't seem to give the same results. Best of Luck Din.

Re: growing garlic

I planted garlic corms last year and now I find clumps of the that look like spring onions.

Can I clarify something Ray?

At planting time did you break the garlic bulb up into seperate cloves prior to planting, or did you plant it whole?

Why I ask is; Each clove will produce a full garlic bulb so if you have planted the bulb whole each of the cloves will have produced a new garlic bulb giving the effect you describe.

I can't say I have ever seen what you describe hence my question!

This is how I grow my garlic; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Garlic/Garlic.htm

<>