SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Fluid knot on dogs side at rib cage

normally just a blood blister type thing from brush hitting it. only other thing that i`ve ever seen close was BLASTOMYCOSIS----(EVEN HUMANS CAN GET FROM OPEN SCRATCH/CUT)from dogs. i know only cost me 18 mos in hosp and nearly 250k in hospital bills plus lost every hound i had.
    be extremely careful either way. and good luck

Charles-

I've got to join Andy in saying, Keep an eye on it!! One of the best field trial hounds I ever owned got one right on the ribcage. After a few weeks of home administered anti-biotics...I carried him to the vet. He acted fine...ran fine...and his stool was fine. The vet pulled a sample out of it and basically told me that the test was inconclusive. The needed to lance part of it (which was $300), send it off and have it tested ($250), and then if it came back being a problem, preform surgery. I didn't want to spend the money so I carried him home. Two weeks later he didn't act right one night....next morning he was dead. If you find out what it is let us know!!
    Hope it's something simple like a few of the other guys talked about!! Good luck!

Jason

I HAVE A 10 YEAR OLD FEMALE (CRACKERJACK DEER DOG)SHE HAS 2 ON HER, ONE ON HER SIDE AND ONE NEAR THE BACK OF HER HEAD WHERE THE COLLAR REST. SHE HAS HAD BOTH OF THESE FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS. NO PROBLEMS WITH IT SHE STILL RUNS GREAT. I TRAIN PUPPIES WITH HER MOSTLY AND
    THIS YEAR I RAN HER SO MUCH AND SHE GOT IN SUCH GREAT SHAPE SHE STARTED SWIMMING THE CREEK AND RIVER CHASING DEER LIKE SHE WAS 2 YEARS OLD. I SPOKE TO A VET AND HE STATED THAT IT WAS A (CYST) NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT WAS BENINE. KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON YOUR DOG AND MAKE SURE IT IS NOT GETTING ANY BIGGER. HE ALSO STATED SOME DOGS GET FATTY DEPOSITS. LIKE HUMANS.

Thanks to all who replied. Still waiting to hear back from vet to make appt. Will post when I have results.
    Charles

Heck, I would just lance it with a sharpe knife or razor blade. If the vet is going to cut it and drain it for $250, I can do it myself. Seen plenty of people lance and drain fluid from spots. I would lance it, let it drain, spray some blukote on it, give the dog a shot of pen, and see where it went from there. just my opinion.

Canaan

I had a dog that had exacly what your talking about and she gets it every year at the same time and it just goes away after a while. Doesnt bother the dog at all.

Re: Re: Fluid knot on dogs side at rib cage

Charles, I had one come up on a gyp about 10 years ago that sound like what you have. I never took her to the vet and just stopped running her for a month or so. The knot finally busted and a few days later, she was dead. She was a 12-15 months old. If it is soft, I would draw 1 cc of dex and 1 cc penicillan in the same needle and inject the knott. 2 cents worth from just a good old boy, not a pro. If the dog is young, I think it may be a problem. If older, could just be a cyst.