SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Two Dead Dogs

I had two Jack Russells this past monday morning. Monday afternoon I have one. Molly acted weak on saturday and weaker on sunday. On thursday my wife gave the other a bath and let her stay in house that evening. Back in pen that night. Fed her friday night but did not go in pen and look at her. Cindy was dead on Satyrday morning. Looking at the dogs there was no struggle in death. Appeared to die in there sleep. No blowouts from either end. Fat and healthy looking. 14 months old. Any viruses or something going around? I am worried about my foxhounds.I Live in NE NC. If you guys know anything please advise. Thanks

Re: Two Dead Dogs

btt

same thing happened to me but it was a foxhound dont have a clue what happened

You may want to read Stacey Robinson's post on "Disease Control contacted me" on 2nd page of speeddogs 10/28/08 10:00pm may help

Could it be anti-freeze poisoning?

CSSJR

Claude has a point. A friend of mine had his golden retriever fall victim to anti-freeze poisoning. Purposeful intent to harm the dog. The dog was in a fenced yard and someone got the antifreeze to him somehow. The vet verified it and stated that it doesn't take much at all. Just a couple of good laps and it's curtains.

Having grown up right there and knowing Poons neighbors, I wouldn't think those dogs died of antifreeze poisoning unless it was accidental from a leaking vehicle or something like that.

Kyle Stotesberry
    252-809-9124

Thanks guys for the input. I know there are some people around that do not care very much for me. I don't think anyone here would poison my dogs. But...you never know. Antifreeze poisoning is the only thing I could come up with but I do not want to believe it. I do have a couple of strangely different neighbors who have done some strange things, but I don't believe they would do this. I really am concerned about my hounds.

Can I ask where your dogs hunted before they died. We had a young healthy 2 year old walker die in his sleep, with no sickness or weakness prior to his death. He hunted on a Saturday in October and was dead the next morning. Many people have suspected antifreeze, but others say it wouldn't work that quick. The story gets worse. Our club (in Bertie County) has lost about 4 dogs the first two weeks of hunting season,and a total of 11 since August. One of the guys had two collars taken off of his dogs. Luckily those dogs are ok.

I had some beagles get in a recently sprayed cotton feild[defoiliant], they went downhill fast after that..Im not sure if that would be your problem or not.