SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    View Entire Thread
    Re: Eric Emerson Gray Fox Chase

eric a hound that can turn on a grey fox can run anything, maybe not as fast as ole #10 at the top gun but that hound could run anything u started it on

Ok here is one from Labor day weekend. The morning started off as usual eyes met Big R in the country and decided where we were going to start. Rode around till I found a fresh scat at the old phone box. Me and Randy put out a few hounds to see if we could get a strike. Dogs struck a time or two but never did get after him. Randy said to move on and try over at another place where we had run a bunch of youngs ones a couple weeks before and to holler at him when I got after one. I pulled up and the path was laid with tracks from where the young ones had played the night before.It didn't take long and old Bob,White Power and Chopper had him jumped.I turned out the rest of mine and hollered at Randy to come on cause I had him on the run. Randy pulled up and the way the wind was blowing he couldn't hear them but his dogs could. His truck looked like one of them cars with the hydraulic shocks on it the way it was jumping up and down so he cast in. This was a typical rank bean race to start with he didn't go much of anywhere for about 15 minutes. Then he made his first run up and around the back of Georges house and skirting the cotton but just wouldn't go out in it. After a few more rounds in the beans he made the mistake of going out in the cotton patch he had skirted earlier and that is where he stayed they really got up under him then. Up one cotton row and down another for a few laps and then they made a miss. For a couple of minutes I thought the dogs had just blew it but Tammy fell right back after him and it was on again.He made it a couple of more laps before I started hearing the big mouth dogs begin to start going silent(Usually that is his butt). This is the part of a race I love the most because he is pulling out every trick he can to try and avoid being caught. Ducking, cutting, squating and then silence. Randy hollered I think they got him and sure enough as I made my way to them I could here them squabblin over the fox. I picked him up and started to the truck with all 32 hounds in tow. The dogs loaded up to get a well deserved drink and we called our buddy Ricky to give up the report. I have another good one from the first time I took my six year old. That is one I my share later on. The bottom line is I have made memories that will stay with me for a lifetime foxhunting on the outside. It is amazing how jacked up the young and old get when the race gets hot and he is about to get stretched.

Danny, Thanks to you and Barry and Mike and the rest, I've run more grays today than I ever had in thirty-some years of hunting.
    I had a real fast track-running hound years ago that probably would have adjusted well to grays but a lot of these hit-n-git coyote hounds would have really had to rein it in or there'd be some BIG holes in the chase.
    Do you use the same start hounds most of the time and occasionally work others into the mix? We'd do the same on the outside. More than three or four to start and they'd get competing with one another and leave more game behind than they found sometimes.
    Were many of your hounds born broke or did you have to break them off? Did you find any particular bloodlines best for staying straight? If so, which ones?

cat hunting, I had your main strike dogs maybe two or three and would put in a "gauge" dog in the mix, once he started opening, you know they are getting close.
    Fox hunting in the summer, would turn loose as many as I could at times, hard for them to learn in the box but usually never more than 2/3 young dogs at a time until I could trust them. Had some I hunted with that carried 15-20 head and would turn every one loose every time, cat or fox hunting, just depends on the hunter.
    Blood lines for me were mainly grade dogs that came from the guys I hunted with, had some papered dogs that did fine too. Cypress branch duster gyp I bought as a puppy was a decent hound, drove me crazy handling until she was about 3 though. For the record, I did use shocking collars, more so for the handling then braking off deer. Had them the last couple years I hunted. NEVER did I have a born broke dog, wasnt that lucky.

Mike

Was the Duster gyp the Betty dog you let Dickie get? I liked that gyp right smart even though she was old when I started hunting with her. He's got a young dog by her right now that could turn out to be good, turn out to be better if he hunted her through the winter though.

just thinkin bout a race that went under a house bout 3 one mornin WOW! why would somebody build a house in the middle of a bean field full of foxes? but then tonite one of mine made me want to kill. She can tie to a coyote or a deer. I turned her into our overpopulated training pen and them greys blew her mind. Barry there is no doubt in my mind what is harder to run AND is more fun to run! Gonna try again OUTSIDE sat mornin got some spotted and the USO is around the corner.

PS. this is one Chip started. but she is fast?

Emerson like Mike said above usually you put out four or so of the ones you know will look, strike and trail him. Once that happens I normally turn all of them out cause they will learn nothing in the truck. When the crops are up I turn all of them out most of the time, but young dogs are irritating in to many numbers. I have had a few of the young ones start to trailing and jumping foxes this summer so it has paid off so far. Now that the foxes are going back to the woods it won't be as easy to turn them all loose cause I already found out in the last few weeks I have two that can punish a deer. I have been lucky enough to be there almost every time to bust some butt which is important to do each and every time they stray on a deer.I have yet to be lucky enough to have one born broke most of them are trouble with deer to some degree, but the breeding I mess with goes back to some older outside stock for the most part and a few times of spankin that azzz with the shock collar and pursuader piece and they at least won't look one anyway. It all starts over again in december for me as I have seven @ 8 months old I'm going to break soon.The company you hunt with also makes a big diference as well. The crowd I have been around typically has few problems with deer so that helps too.

Canaan, yes, thats the duster gyp. what did he breed her to?

Re: Re: Eric Emerson Gray Fox Chase

He raised a litet out of her and a dog he raised named jake. Only lived and it happend to be a gyp. The daddy of the Jake dog belonged to Haislip, his name was Mack and I think at one point almost everything Haislip hunted was off this dog, and most still are that stock, the dam was Colemans dog he called Mrs Black Eyes. Brian and Allen hunted many of dogs off this cross, never would sell me one, the one Dickie bred to was in my opinion the weakest of all that cross, and not at all what I woulda bred a gyp like Betty too. Dickies gyp has a fast little chopping mouth. She has done pretty good for Dickie, seemed to like a deer right smart early this summer, she never got corrected but seems to have calmed down a bit on the forked foots, im sure she will need alot of persuasion if he decides to hunt agian before spring. Brian and I have both tried to buy the little gyp from him, she can move on the track, gonna see her up in the mix.