SPEEDDOGS

PLEASE USE YOUR FULL NAME OR THE POST WILL BE DELETED.  INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED. PLEASE BE CONSCIOUS THAT THESE ARE PUBLIC POSTS. PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF CHILDREN THAT MAY BE SIGNED ON.

SPEEDDOGS
    Start a New Topic 
    Author
    Comment
    Hound Hunting Ethics

Now that the Hound study is over and the proposals have been forwarded to the VDGIF board. I want to take an opportunity to share some things with all of the hound hunters. We can argue until the sun goes down on whether the study was warranted or not. It is clear that I won't change the minds of some nor will they change mine. I read a statement at the conclusion of the public comments at the VDGIF meeting on Oct 23. Here is my opinion.
    As much as hated to even entertain any discussion with RTR. The decision I made to amend it was only done to prevent a proposal from coming out of the committee that may have suggested its total elimination. It would be my preference that the law not be changed at all but, if it is, and it is reworded to require hound owners to make a reasonable attempt to notify a landowner that you are retrieving your hound, then the outcome really isn't that bad. I am confused why any hound owner would oppose the establishment of a deer hound training season. This has been recognized as a major source of conflict between hound hunters and still hunters. To establish a window where deer hounds can be trained and not adversly affect still hunters will only help all hound hunters. Even the fox hunters will benefit because they won't be getting the bad rapp because deer hound owners are running hounds in the name of fox hounds. I have hope that by next season, we will see some of the proposals come to pass and in the end, some of the bad things we do that hurts the image of our sport will improve.
    With that being said, I urge all hound owners to wake up and look at what just happened. Shots were fired and the enemy is real. We must take this warning and start now in addressing the things that have been identified as areas of conflict and the origins of the negative public image that we create for ourselves.
    1)We all need to carry covers of some type so that when deer are harvested, they can be covered up and keep out of the public view. Remember 6.5 million citizens in the commonwealth don't hunt and they don't need to see, nor do they want to see Bambi thrown on top of your dog box w/ it's tounge hanging out. Man up and quit trying to impress someone with your hunting skills (most people don't care)
    2) Now is the time to get out and talk to adjoining land owners. Let them see a face and shake a hand. It will do you a world of good. Even if you have had conflicts in the past. Go back and make an attempt to correct any misunderstandings. Let it be known that you are there as a result of the study. It is important that the non-hunting public knows that the study did do something to improve hound hunting.
    3) We must stop the NASCAR road hunting.It is one thing to hustle to prevent a hound from getting run over. It is entirely different when you pursue by truck for the purpose of killing the deer. The days of jumping out in the middle of the road w/ your gun in hand is over with. Those that fight against this will only make it tough for the rest of us. Times have changed, we must change with them.
    4) When you can, you need to be as inconspicuous as possible. Get out of the publics view. If hunting near roads, can you use a tree stand? a blind? can you safely move away from the road?
    5) Give consideration to marking your vehicle well with reflective tape. (Especially the rear of the vehicle) Place tape in the door jams so you can be seen when exiting the vehicle. Always use emergency flashers when picking up hounds near the road. If you can, use a two vehicle method where the first vehicle will act as a safety buffer for advancing traffic. Consider wearing orange or bright yellow highway vest with the reflective tape. This may seem extreme but, I have had a hound hit by a vehicle 2 ft from my feet. I won't ever forget that. You can't be too safe.
    6) Bend over backwards in being polite to everyone. We must improve our public image.

Have your club discuss establishing a code of ethics and hold all members to it. Throughout the study, the hound owners argued that our problems were caused by a few bad apples. If we truly believe that, then we should be willing to establish a code of ethics that will define what is right from wrong. I would like to see all of the hound owners in Virginia to adopt one code of ethics where everyone will stand in line and sign their name and reputation too. Those that cannot live by the code, will stand out and make the CPO's job easy. I do want to give credit where credit is due. KUDO's to the VHDA for the section in the last two news letters that have taken a stance on ethical behavior. All hound owners are encouraged to read that section and heed it's instruction. It is very important for the houndsmen of Virginia that an organization such as VHDA take the lead in ethical behavior for our sport. You have been given the opportunity that Georgia, Florida and others did not get. The future of hound hunting rest in the hands of those that practice it. If you go forward from here and make no adjustments or changes, then if we keep doing what we have always done, we will continue to get what we have always got. I want to see this sport live on. Acknowlege the need for improvement and lets make a statement to those that opposed this wonderful sport. This is our Heritage and we will do whatever we must to preserve it for ever.

Re: Hound Hunting Ethics

Jim - I am a coon hunter - we hunt at nite. I travel across virginia going to nite hunts and drawing out with guides who guides us in the mountains and sometimes farms to hunt. If one of our hound seperates and trees a raccoon across someone elses property than the guide has permission to hunt on then we would have to call the property owner at 10, 11, 12, or later at night and early morning to check and see if it is alright to go in and retrieve our dogs. How many landowners who mind being woke up in the middle of the wee morning hours to let some coonhunter or bearhunter go across his land to retrieve his hound. did you ever stop to consider that fact. I will not leave my $1,500.00 hound in the woods in another county. No you was wrong and didn't represent all hound hunters.

No Derick, you are mistaken. To start with, you are not asking permission. The proposal will only require you to make notifying to the land owner that you will be on the property to retrieve the hound and then be gone. It was agreed by everyone on the SAC and the Tech. Committee including the CPO's that were present that notification to a landowner that late at night is not considered "Reasonable" In most all cases, this requirement will never affect a coon hunter. I believe, as well as the rest of the SAC, that the problem exist with the deer hound hunters. This is no rocket science. Even though these specifics were not spelled out in detail with our proposals, all of the information including the notes of discussion as well as the future involvement of the Tech. Committee is expected to safeguard the implimentation of some mindless requirement. The intent of the proposal was clear to everyone involved. I know you don't agree but, let's just see where this goes. It may not even be presented to legislators for change. If it is, you can be sure that those of us responsible for this will make sure that the legislators understand that intent. I understand your passion for retrieving your hound. I feel the same way for mine. I do not go home without them.

Jim you wanted your cake and pie too is all. You seen an opurtunity and you took advantage of it without regaurd of the outcome. You can bet your bottom dollar that it will be brought up in the GA and the SAC reccomendations and the flawed Technical report will be used by the animal welfare and other non supporters of the RTR as the holy bible.

yall 2 need to get off each others case .....i don't live in virginia but yall got the most flexible rtr i've ever heard of.......it is a tireless non-thankful job being on any committee that has to work w/ committeees and the legislative process in any state as i have worked on committes not related to hunting in sc.......we must face the facts that "deer hunting " as has been done in the past must change......the days of getting in "hot pursuit" of a nice buck is over in sc,va,nc,la wherever.....we've all got to put up better images for the public.....if you dont think times are changing just look at the presidential ticket

good post Jim. Since we became under scrutiny here in Florida my club tries to stay away from the public eye even more than usual.

Jim - Great advice! There is one thing in Virginia that has caused hound hunting to be scrutinized that is development. Hunting lands have become increasingly fragmented. Society has changed. My neighbor who owns 350 acres just passed away. He left each of his 4 children part of the farm. That’s now 87.5 acres of his offspring. Now a hunt club has to get permission from 4 different landowners rather than just one and if the one in the center does not grant them permission it throws a wrench into the whole works. This trend will continue once the economy picks up again. A realistic approach is what is needed. To say there is no problem or to fight any change will jeopardize the sport. The way to handle this is to guide the change so that the sport will continue.

Just FYI - West Virginia is trying to pass a law requiring that all hunters cover or conceal their kills from public view. This was started by a young girl who went to a legislator.